here 4 help please

luckitri

Feeder Fish
May 18, 2017
Getting overwhelmed - can't process so much - digital delay. . . .ugh - had a bad feeling buying topfin cuz remembered that I considered it to be inferior product but my income these days is also inferior so I just figured plenty of people do fine with it . . . But maybe not. So I just did a corollary research for what you are presenting to me and see that the product I'm using isn't even aquatic nitrifiers so I wasted me moolah? I'm going to just have to go with what you say to do to the best of my ability.
I found an old container of "Biozyme" that says it has unlimited shelf life but not even sure if I can consider my aquarium "established " if I am even going to clean the filters - just wipe over and flush with water or more serious cleaning? I had to cut loose of my other tanks so no backup for him.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Sorry to hear about your fish troubles. Its never easy...

My opinion, stop dosing anything into the tank. Your tank sounds like its cycling. The fish is gasping from either ammonia/nitrite or a rapid ph drop, old tank syndrome as someone else mentioned. I am sad to say but I think you're making it worse by dosing the peroxide. Fish do not gasp for lack of oxygen but die by an "uneplained", as someone would call it, reasons. Gasping is related to ammonia/nitrite and/or a ph drop. Coudiness doesn't mean the bacteria is kicking in. Cloudy water is due to heterotrophic bacterial blooms, not nitrifying bacteria, which is not good. It is too long to explain but your best chance to save him is fin level daily water changes, dechlorinator and don't mess with the water in any other way. You can just put in a couple of table spoons of salt, but no more. This is to neutralize blood poisoning from possible nitrite.

Best of luck and my best wishes to you and all your family. I am sorry you have to go through all this.

Reactions: BIG-G

luckitri

Feeder Fish
May 18, 2017
Getting overwhelmed - can't process so much - digital delay. . . .ugh - had a bad feeling buying topfin cuz remembered that I considered it to be inferior product but my income these days is also inferior so I just figured plenty of people do fine with it . . . But maybe not. So I just did a corollary research for what you are presenting to me and see that the product I'm using isn't even aquatic nitrifiers so I wasted me moolah? I'm going to just have to go with what you say to do to the best of my ability.
I found an old container of "Biozyme" that says it has unlimited shelf life but not even sure if I can consider my aquarium "established " if I am even going to clean the filters - just wipe over and flush with water or more serious cleaning? I had to cut loose of my other tanks so no backup for him.
Sorry to hear about your fish troubles. Its never easy...

My opinion, stop dosing anything into the tank. Your tank sounds like its cycling. The fish is gasping from either ammonia/nitrite or a rapid ph drop, old tank syndrome as someone else mentioned. I am sad to say but I think you're making it worse by dosing the peroxide. Fish do not gasp for lack of oxygen but die by an "uneplained", as someone would call it, reasons. Gasping is related to ammonia/nitrite and/or a ph drop. Coudiness doesn't mean the bacteria is kicking in. Cloudy water is due to heterotrophic bacterial blooms, not nitrifying bacteria, which is not good. It is too long to explain but your best chance to save him is fin level daily water changes, dechlorinator and don't mess with the water in any other way. You can just put in a couple of table spoons of salt, but no more. This is to neutralize blood poisoning from possible nitrite.

Best of luck and my best wishes to you and all your family. I am sorry you have to go through all this.
Thx. I'm done with the peroxide & only did it cause he was gasping. And the link provided earlier showsthat it takes 24 hours - not instant as I had read elsewhere. OMG so much conflicting information! Yes the kids have said that they will help me tonight. It's got to be nitrites & bad bacteria as you say. One of our local fish stores (where they work on commission ) told me years ago to limit water changes and only vacuum the top of the gravel - I am amazed at all the conflicting information.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Fresh, declhorinated water in mass amounts is the best bet with any sick fish problems and its right there coming from your tap, no need to buy anything. Even if meds are needed, large water changes are essential. This is not conflicting with any other advise. Peroxide is extremely dangerous for fish and microbial life in the tank....You can kill fish outright if you get the wrong dosage, plus every tank goes through different chemical reactions when something is added. If it was a smaller fish, it would have been dead. I frequent on planted tank forums, many sad peroxide stories...

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
One of our local fish stores (where they work on commission ) told me years ago to limit water changes and only vacuum the top of the gravel - I am amazed at all the conflicting information.
No offense but that's the worst advise you ever got....

Reactions: BIG-G

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Yes, I second that don't add anything to the tank except clean water!
Until this tank gets settled in and your whole nitrogen cycle gets established you're going to continue to see problems. But the best way to deal with them is with clean water changes lots of them.
If your tank smells it may be your substrate.
You should use a gravel vacuum when you do the water changes to remove the built up waste and detritus.

Why a LFS would tell you not to vacuum your substrate is beyond me! I would question everything they tell you if this is the case.

If you want to know something and you can't find the answer with your own research just post a question on MFK there's so many knowledgeable people here.

luckitri

Feeder Fish
May 18, 2017
Hey all! Did the water change. Siphon doesn't work much below half but his fins were popping out the top of the water as he inspected. He seems to know that this is what needs to be done. Interesting to me was all the bubbles coming up out of the gravel each time it was disturbed. I hear that he is doing better (but back to gasping at top which is better than yesterday ) and hope that family will do the same today until I can get home .

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
The bubbles are trapped gas probably anaerobic that may be why the tank was smelling as well. Just keep doing regular water changes and vacuuming of the substrate and the tank should straighten out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store