Hey everyone, just bought a new tank

Bicherman

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
New Jersey
so I went out today and got myself a 125 gallon tank! It is going to be stocked with a royal clown knife around 8" a juvenile oscar, a juvenile orange shoulder severum, and a sengalus bichir. "I am aware I will need an even bigger tank in the future" anyway tommy question.. what kind of filtration would you suggest for the size tank and the fish that will be housed in it?

alecrromine

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2015
Kentucky
I have never used a sump system before.. is it better to make one yourself or buy one at a lfs?
it's a lot cheaper to build one. and it's relatively easy. if you have an extra tank lying around that's a huge bonus, but petco does $1/gal sales every so often. you can find some scratched ones on Craigslist for cheap. I had a 55gal that I used for my sump build and with pumps and everything I am into mine for about $200. you'll spend more than double that on just a manufactured sump. is your tank drilled?

Bicherman

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
New Jersey
it's a lot cheaper to build one. and it's relatively easy. if you have an extra tank lying around that's a huge bonus, but petco does $1/gal sales every so often. you can find some scratched ones on Craigslist for cheap. I had a 55gal that I used for my sump build and with pumps and everything I am into mine for about $200. you'll spend more than double that on just a manufactured sump. is your tank drilled?
Do you have any links to any good diy videos for assembling one? And no it's not currently.. Is that easy to do?

alecrromine

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2015
Kentucky
Do you have any links to any good diy videos for assembling one? And no it's not currently.. Is that easy to do?
I've never drilled one myself, I've never been brave enough. if it were me personally, I would skip the idea of a sump because the tank isn't drilled and go with two or three emperor 400s or ac110s. you can still do a sump, but without drilling you would have to run pvc pipes over the side of the tank. I don't personally like that look. there are a lot of posts/threads about diy sumps and other filtration systems. if you choose to do a sump i can send you pictures of how I did it. there's a lot of right ways to do it, and the only wrong way is one that doesn't work.

Reactions: tlindsey

Bicherman

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
New Jersey
I've never drilled one myself, I've never been brave enough. if it were me personally, I would skip the idea of a sump because the tank isn't drilled and go with two or three emperor 400s or ac110s. you can still do a sump, but without drilling you would have to run pvc pipes over the side of the tank. I don't personally like that look. there are a lot of posts/threads about diy sumps and other filtration systems. if you choose to do a sump i can send you pictures of how I did it. there's a lot of right ways to do it, and the only wrong way is one that doesn't work.
Yeah I don't think I'm brave enough to drill either. I could check out the pvc on the side option because where my tank it located in the house it wouldn't be super visual I think. If not a few canister filters would be the second option for sure. I wouldn't mind seeing your sump to get a general idea on it

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
I would go with 2 fx5-6
I run a Cannister and a 30 gal sump on my 135gal
Since then I've added more biohouses under the bioballs

IMG_7375.JPG

IMG_7385.JPG

freak78

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
Northwest, Indiana
I would use an Fx-6 and a few aquaclear 110s. I run this set up on my 125 and it works great. Plus you get great water circulation with the combination of both.

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Drilling tanks is very easy. Just be sure it is not tempered.

Use a jig (a piece of wood with the correct drill diameter) to get the drill started. You can remove it after you are cutting into the glass. Try and hild the drill level. Use lots of water on the bit. Tape the inside piece so it does not fall into your tank and break the glass. Go slow. Watch a youtube video or two.

I did my 1st one serveral months ago. I have since drilled 12-14 more holes.

Super easy for sure.

Or get and over the aide style overflow that flows to your sump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store