Hey i'm new here

Scrubbie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2016
Europe
Hey there
i am completely new to the aquarium hobby and i would like to setup an aquarium.
Can i start with an 10 gallon breeder with a Eheim Classic 150 and a 50 watt heater.
I am going to make a stand with 2x4's, and it is going to be in my bedroom.
I love puffers i think that for stock a dwarf puffer and of course a few otocinclus.

Last edited:

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Hey, hi and welcome!!

I was with you right up until the puffers. My first tank (and my son's first tank were 10-gallons.) Everything up to that point seemed fine. Others can chime in on that fish selection since I have no experience with it.

10-gallons is a nice starter tank, but it's relatively small, so the key thing to consider is that it is easy to over heat or get chilled quickly because of the amount of water. Make sure to place the tank away from direct sunlight and no where near an air vent. The area of the room needs to be stable temperature wise.

Also make sure it's not in a spot where it can easily be bumped or tipped. A 10-gallon tank on a stand isn't that heavy, so it can get tipped or moved easier than it may seem, and besides it obviously being bad if it gets knocked over, the fish won't like living in a house that is regularly jolted.

Last edited:
Reactions: millerkid519

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Fat Homer Fat Homer can help you out there. Sounds good to me tho you could probably get a couple dwarf puffers in there. Oyos can be difficult to keep they are known for out of the blue just dieing with no reason. I will tell you tho you are jumping into some more difficult fish to keep right away. Do lots and lots of research (while cycling the tank) before you buy any fish

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
The LFS near me regularly stocks pea puffers that should do well in a 10 gal tank. I think they only get to be around an inch long. You could probably keep multiple pea puffers in the 10 gal tank.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Welcome!

Scrubbie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2016
Europe
Hey, hi and welcome!!

I was with you right up until the puffers. My first tank (and my son's first tank were 10-gallons.) Everything up to that point seemed fine. Others can chime in on that fish selection since I have no experience with it.

10-gallons is a nice starter tank, but it's relatively small, so the key thing to consider is that it is easy to over heat or get chilled quickly because of the amount of water. Make sure to place the tank away from direct sunlight and no where near an air vent. The area of the room needs to be stable temperature wise.

Also make sure it's not in a spot where it can easily be bumped or tipped. A 10-gallon tank on a stand isn't that heavy, so it can get tipped or moved easier than it may seem, and besides it obviously being bad if it gets knocked over, the fish won't like living in a house that is regularly jolted.
Here i have an idea for how i am going to make the stand will it be strong enough? i feel like it is going to hold my house :). And when i get the tank i will paint the back and sides dark gray.
1234.png 12.png 123.png

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
tippy thing for 10g still applies, as an FYI, 10g tanks are better served centered on a table with a base at least twice the length of the tank. middle of a dresser, night stand and the such. can find cheep night stands that would serve the purpose at a good will store and the such. IMHO any ways.

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
Yea that stand will definitely hold it but Like previously stated above their very easy to tip over being so top heavy. Besides having a wider stand maybe trying placing it against the wall in a corner so it has extra protection from
Tipping or being bumped into.

Scrubbie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2016
Europe
Yea that stand will definitely hold it but Like previously stated above their very easy to tip over being so top heavy. Besides having a wider stand maybe trying placing it against the wall in a corner so it has extra protection from
Tipping or being bumped into.
could i place a sheet of plywood on top of the stand and screw it down an silicone the aquarium on the plywood and build a rim on the stand as shown here:22222.png

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
you would be better served making the base footing bigger, not the top.

Reactions: Freshwater4Life
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store