hi fin black ghost knife

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I saw a few in a LFS here in Iceland yesterday, was very surprised. I have owned a "normal" BGK before and was about to post a thread about this hi-fin BGK when i saw this thread. Didnt take any pics but they were 2-3" and costs the same as normal BGK go for here in Iceland.
Very interesting fish :)
The dorsal fin was about 1/3 of the fish´s length.
Very interesting, I never saw a BGK with a dorsal fin? I wonder if this is a Aba aba? That's the thing with common names like "Bala Shark" is not really a shark and so on...........

Edit: of course one pic would clear this mystery up

Andri Pogo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2007
Iceland
Very interesting, I never saw a BGK with a dorsal fin? I wonder if this is a Aba aba? That's the thing with common names like "Bala Shark" is not really a shark and so on...........

Edit: of course one pic would clear this mystery up
Not an aba aba, i know how a BGK looks like, had one for a few years :D

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Not an aba aba, i know how a BGK looks like, had one for a few years :D
So the dorsal is the very top fin like a shark with it's fin out of the water (we have all seen the pics). Knowing what a black ghost knife looks like............. it seems like I'm missing something? Where would the "hi fin" be? :duh:

Edit: again, a pic would clear this up.........

CAaddict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
UK, Birmingham
i love this professionally photoshop edit lol looks just like the specimin looooool nahh but iv never actually heard of a hi-fin BGK .. be kinda cool to see a real 1 lol

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Hmmmm? I think maybe and elephant nose or dolphin fish (elephant nose without the trunk). This is the problem with common names. Cool fish though. I think they are from Africa too, not South America like a BGK.

Andri Pogo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2007
Iceland
Hmmmm? I think maybe and elephant nose or dolphin fish (elephant nose without the trunk). This is the problem with common names. Cool fish though. I think they are from Africa too, not South America like a BGK.
once again... i know how a BGK looks like, this was not an aba aba, elephant nose or what not... This was a BGK with a dorsal fin! :)
Maybe its a new Apteronotus species, or some kind of morph... But it looks just like the BGK.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store