High Nitrate out of tap?

lilacamy931

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2009
Burnemouth
So I have definitely had a journey with this tank (cycling, nursing fish back to health etc). Now finding nitrates high out of the tap.

If using the API Master Test Kit - both tap and tank show 40-80ppm ( i can't tell the difference between the reds).

Used test strips as well and showed 25-30ppm roughly. After checking water board reports - we are reported 30-40ppm and someone has informed me Europe can have up to 50ppm.

Given I have puffers, delicate creatures, how do I battle this? There are live plants in there already, I plan to add a LOAD more. I have a low tech plant tank with 6 hours of lighting and liquid ferts dosing twice a week.

What changes can I make to ensure optimum health for these guys?

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
subbed my PPM put of tap is 5 to 10 PPM and I cannot tell the difference on the API test booklet. I have supplemented with 200 ML of purigen but its a band aid until i firgure more out not a solution, look forward to hearing form others.

Reactions: lilacamy931

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
A Reverse Osmosis unit or buying spring water is your best bet.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
RO water or more plants.

Could also do an algae scrubber or an anaerobic denitrifying reactor.

Side note though, there is certainly disagreement about nitrate levels for sensitive fish, and if it's actually the nitrates that are the problem. When nitrates come from fish waste they are accompanied by organics and other crap, it's just the nitrates we test. When nitrates come from tap water it's generally farm fertilizer and generally just nitrates.

Ive seen discus posts (discus being one of the most sensitive freshwater fish in the hobby) saying nitrates from fish waste should be below 10, but dosing nitrates as fertilizer (since often planted tanks) to 20-30 ppm is not an issue.

Bottom line is your fish may be fine in tap water, even if it's full of nitrates.

lilacamy931

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2009
Burnemouth
Hmm I will admit bit loath to get a RO unit unless needs really must - it is something I can consider investing in a couple of months but not unfortunately right now.

Plants are already on list to up and will be stocking more this weekend

Not heard of algae scrubber or reactor before - will research into those.

Fish are fine and strong right now but aware nitrate poisoning is a thing

aztsm

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Arizona
My nitrates test high out of the tap as well. By the time it reaches my home from the water treatment facility it gets contaminated some how by all the farm land in my city.

RO units as mentioned. Do yourself a favor and test your TDS before you buy. If you have high TDS you'll be going through filters fairly often depending on the amount of water your chaning and how often.

Plants work as well, but it takes a bit of time for it to actually show a reduction on my test and you need a pretty heavy plant load. I do water changes a couple times a week so it's not very effective for me persoanlly.

I have read that the stuff coming out of my test is a false positive on my aquarium nitrate test kit. Who knows. I have not expereinced short term effects of the high nitrates in my tap. 0-5 years. I have really never kept a fish longer than that to know what long term effects it may be having.

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
Gills and the skin of fish are basically impermeable to nitrate. Only fry and eggs are sensitive to nitrate. The most recent study showed that 30 days at 2,200 mg/L had no effects on juvenile tilapia. I've had mine as high as 280 mg/L.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Gills and the skin of fish are basically impermeable to nitrate. Only fry and eggs are sensitive to nitrate. The most recent study showed that 30 days at 2,200 mg/L had no effects on juvenile tilapia. I've had mine as high as 280 mg/L.
Lol. Food tilapia can live in sewage. That is meaningless based on your info. Some tilapia are very sensitive to poor water quality including nitrates.
Side note, API nitrate tests are very inaccurate. I use strips for nitrate tests. My water tested 40 ppm out of the tap. In reality it is about 5. I confirmed this with water dept. The BMFIC confirmed this, he is an aquarium dude and very concerned with water quality.

lilacamy931

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2009
Burnemouth
Thanks for all the extra information guys. I've added a ton more live plants (as well either way they are going to do some more good). We may be setting up a marine tank later in the year so a RO unit may be on the cards anyway. I may confirm direct with water department for peace of mind as the API test kit is too inaccurate for me. We have the test strips as well .

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Thanks for all the extra information guys. I've added a ton more live plants (as well either way they are going to do some more good). We may be setting up a marine tank later in the year so a RO unit may be on the cards anyway. I may confirm direct with water department for peace of mind as the API test kit is too inaccurate for me. We have the test strips as well .

What type of plants did you add? I' lookong into lucky bamboo as it' low maitenance in care and lighting required, and works well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store