High Nitrate

Thomascl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2005
Philippines
Hi, i did my weekly nitrate test four days ago and it was dangerously high about 80ppm i did a 40% water change then iv done a 20% water change every day after till today im doing another 40% change because the Nitrate has not come down at all.
Their is:

Two motoros 11"

Two Geo Altifrons 8"

Three Geo Japuri 6"

One Tire Track Eel 19"

One Procoloudus 6"

In a 1500lt (i think about 388Gal) tank with a 4ft sump and a 40lt Fluid Bed Filter which is all run by a 10.000lt an hour water pump
If any one has any idea where this Nitrate would be building up please let me know.
Thanks

Thomas.

Thomascl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2005
Philippines
No its not heavily decorated it has a sand and gravle bottom about an 1" deep and few few bits of wood, the sump has bioballs and matrix.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
Maybe your feeding too much ? How is your water straight from the tap ?? Does it have nitrates? In any case , you need to do large and frequent water changes to keep it down. 80ppm is very high for rays.

dimfer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2005
Canada
if you will do a search, both fbf and bio-balls are both known for high nitrate level. as suggested by rtf, feed less and scoop the poop right away. rays are known to poop more than average fish

Thomascl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2005
Philippines
Iv never had this problem before iv always feed them the same amount and have always done the same water changes, 40% twice a week and the nitrate has never bee above 20ppm, ill try cleaning the the bio filter

Thanks for your help guys.

Thomas

Thomascl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2005
Philippines
DeLgAdO said:
check and clean out the bioballs if its full of crap
Well i cleaned out my filter and there was a fear bit of crap on the bottom but nothing through the bioballs, so ill do a 40% water change tomorrow and see how it go's, i also checked my tap water and it has 0 nitrate.

Thomas

flyingsaucer owner

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2005
England
You need to up the percentage of water that you change to around 60-75%. Large frequent changes are the only way to keep on top of nitrate levels

Thomascl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2005
Philippines
flyingsaucer owner said:
You need to up the percentage of water that you change to around 60-75%. Large frequent changes are the only way to keep on top of nitrate levels
I would but i dont feel safe chageing that much water as i lost all my fish once doing a 60% change, and for the price of Rays down under its not worth the risk.

Thomas

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store