high nitrate..

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
i checked my water parameter this morning, i got almost 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, but really high nitrate, around 60-80ppm based on API reading (more or less).. the tank has been running about 3-4 months so i believe my tank is cycled already.. seachem prime, pristine and stabilizer for water conditioners.

i did 50% WC immediately, then after a couple of hours, the nitrate did drop but just a little.. usually i do 1 or 2times 20-30% WC weekly.

i have a overstocked 55gal tank atm with 7 fishes in it. the new 285gal tank is coming next week. i do not have a spare tank, the 55 is all i have.. so is there anything i can do for the mean time to keep the nitrate under control for the next 7 days?..

currently 3 units of fx6 filters are doin the job for 55 gal tank.

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Hmm.... can you get ahold of a pothos vine or other bog plant to stick in the tank? Once it adjusts it should suck up a bunch in between water changes. You might also want to try nitrate reducing filter pads.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
First thing i'd do is thoroughly wash out your test vials and double check ensuring you blast the hell out of bottle 2. Check tap water nitrate, if that's fine then your water changes should reduce nitrate. Have you done a thorough substrate vacuum? Are you sure you're not missing a fish, a decaying body hidden under an ornament won't help nitrate levels. If your tank's overstocked then 20-30% water changes aren't enough, maybe 50-60%.

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
Hmm.... can you get ahold of a pothos vine or other bog plant to stick in the tank? Once it adjusts it should suck up a bunch in between water changes. You might also want to try nitrate reducing filter pads.
never heard of it and i dont think my nearby LFS have it.. any brands recommendation for nitrate filter pad?? thanks

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
First thing i'd do is thoroughly wash out your test vials and double check ensuring you blast the hell out of bottle 2. Check tap water nitrate, if that's fine then your water changes should reduce nitrate. Have you done a thorough substrate vacuum? Are you sure you're not missing a fish, a decaying body hidden under an ornament won't help nitrate levels. If your tank's overstocked then 20-30% water changes aren't enough, maybe 50-60%.
i believe i jerked the nitrate bottle 2 like there is tomorrow lol.. i washed the test tube with tap water.. probably that is the culprit that makes my reading off? i used drinking water for that 50% wc this morning so i believe it is nitrate free water.

i use phyton gravel vacuum for doing wc and i vacuum the substrates thoroughly.. i take out the plastic plants while vacuuming.. so if theres something left it should not be significant supposedly.

i will try to do 50% wc again in 2 days i guess? dont want to stress out the fish too much by doin another big wc tomorrow..

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Never assume that your tap water is nitrate free. Damn water companies do what they like with water supplies and there messing about causes havoc with us hobbyists. If it turns out your water is nitrate free then water changes should sort it. And then, to maintain the low levels of nitrate you will need to up your schedule if that tanks overstocked. However, if you DO have nitrate in your water then i feel for you. Others with experience of tap water with nitrate in may add something to guide you further.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
Don't stress about it, if you have nitrate in your tap water, then there's not a lot you can do to make much of a difference without using RO water or something.

I know of ppl who have bred stingrays and kept them in long term health with nitrate of 80-120 ppm, and they're super sensitive.

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
i dont know if the number of fishes in my 55gal is possibily the cause of high nitrate?? lol .. i have 1 6in RTG aro, 1 11in florida gar, 2 6in flowerhorns 1 senegal bichir, 1 8in lemon oscar and 1 7in tiger oscar.. it is waayy overstocked for 55gal.. i know i made a bad decision but whats done is done and the 285 gal tank is comin in 7 days approximately.. i hope the fishes will forgive my sin to them lol.. now i just need to know what can be done to lower the nitrate and make it safe for the next 7 days @_@

Last edited:

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
The easiest solution that will work is daily 50% water changes.
The pads are not going to remove, a significant amount of nitrate.

I have a over stocked cichlid tank, with an algae scrubber, routinely cleaned mechanical filters, and weekly 50% water changes.
One week without, any intervention, and nitrate will spike over 40ppm. It takes more water changes to bring it back down. Then to keep it in check.
IIt is possible to bring a 140ppm nitrate into the 20ppm. With sugar dosing, but it requires filter capable of removing lots and lots of bacteria.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

jsc

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2005
Bethlehem, PA
Change 50% daily. Keep temperature of new water close to tank water. Make sure filters are clean. Scale back feeding. You should be fine when new tank comes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store