high nitrate..

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
I agree about the daily water changes, your tank is so overstocked I'm not surprised at all by the high nitrate, I'm surprised they are not even higher.
so the over stock fish is the reason why my nitrate is so high altho ammonia and nitrite are almost 0?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I didn't realise when you said overstocked that you actually meant sardines in a can overstocked!! That is a very high bio load. Fortunately for you it looks like your BB is doing a great job for you but crikey i bet the little guys are sweating! They're mopping up your ammonia and nitrite but only you can mop up your nitrates so keep on top of them water changes and hopefully all your fish will pull through and make it to their new home. Good luck.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Normal bio-filtration does not remove nitrate, in fact biofiltration produces nitrate.
You would need to test your tap water to be sure its not the culprit, and is high in nitrate to be sure, but in the U.S. the MCL is 10ppm for municipal water. Any water producer that sends out water with a higher level is in violation, and subject to heavy fines (at least until 2 days ago, with the new administration, I doubt water quality will be given any thought at all, other than to cut environmental programs).
I believe in that tank, with your fish load, you will need to do 50% daily water changes "forever" to keep nitrate down.
And even in your future 200+gal, with that fish load, and potential fish growth, every other day water changes will be needed.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
ok thank you guys... so i guess i will just keep doin wc till the new tank arrives.. i hope the shop can get it done earlier than planned.. *fingers crossed*

yeah thankfully the 3 fx6 and those seachems prime, pristine, stability and matrix are doin their job..

shame on me :l

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
On your 200+ tank, the single best thing you can do to reduce nitrates, is to have a easy quick way to keep your mechanical filter clean.
Filter socks, or Poly floss trays, that are cleaned frequently. Notably with a sump.

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
On your 200+ tank, the single best thing you can do to reduce nitrates, is to have a easy quick way to keep your mechanical filter clean.
Filter socks, or Poly floss trays, that are cleaned frequently. Notably with a sump.
thank you for your input!! :)

but i already have those fx6 canisters so i dont know how frequent i can clean the filters without making monthly mess??.. i hope once in 3-6months is enough?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
To me, canisters are some of the most prolific nitrate producing factories available, not so much because of the filter is bad in itself, but because they are not user friendly to clean.
This usually means regular cleaning is often neglected, so nitrate producing gunk tends to build up.
Just because gunk gets filtered out of the tank proper, and into the can, doesn't mean its out of the water, it just spews invisible nitrate back into the tank.
Clear water, does not mean healthy water for fish.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
With all of those fish I think you will probably need to clean the filters at least once a month. Just clean one a week for three weeks, take a week off, and then start all over again. That bio load won't be much in the 285 at first but all of those fish will grow pretty huge, and are messy as well, hence a huge bio load. If you're not able to keep up with the maintenance necessary then I would suggest you reduce your stocking to just two or three of those fish, and not the aro and the gar.

Also, if you can manage to setup a drip system, that will do huge work on the nitrates, but also a bit extra on your water bill. And, with the amount of stocking you are going to have, you will probably still have to do water changes rather often, unless you run the drip like a garden hose.

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store