High ph

jwitty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2018
Here’s a pic of both. Kh on left gh on right. 15 drops of kh, 1 drop of gh. Gh has just a slight lime green not much. But it never was orange

DA477250-3730-49B6-B890-B7F18F2FC89B.jpeg

jwitty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2018
A swinging ph will stress fish out and cause fish not to eat/settle and result in death. Tank seems cycled. Would test ur tap and tank for gHand kH. Also post some info about the fish it trying to keep including tank size and filtration.
Sorry forgot to respond to you. I’m using a penguin 350 along with an under gravel filter with two power heads and two bubbler tubes. Only thing in the filter is the mechanical filter and carbon that comes with the filter. But I will be adding the ceramic rings when they come this weekend.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
That’s what I heard but I’m extremely confused about my fish. I’ve had quite a few die and I haven’t changed anything. Feedings are the same, I do water changes, nitrites are at 0,ammonia at 0, nitrates are under 5 ppm let alone 20. Only thing left is ph unless I’m missing something. Of course the fish dying could also be from other things too it’s not like I know the fish’s past lol.
Are your temps stable and correct for your type of fish? Is there a lot of noise or activity around the tank (foot traffic, tv) some fish stress easier than others.

jwitty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2018
Are your temps stable and correct for your type of fish? Is there a lot of noise or activity around the tank (foot traffic, tv) some fish stress easier than others.
Yep no problem with temps and they are well within range for all fish. It’s in the basement so not a ton of commotion either

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Yep no problem with temps and they are well within range for all fish. It’s in the basement so not a ton of commotion either
Wow, hate to say, but you may have just gotten a bad batch of fish. Sometimes they'll come to the stores with internal issues. Imported flowerhorns for instance are often loaded with parasites...sometimes purchasing from a family owned buisness in your area is good because they can give you the history of the fish and care.

jwitty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2018
Wow, hate to say, but you may have just gotten a bad batch of fish. Sometimes they'll come to the stores with internal issues. Imported flowerhorns for instance are often loaded with parasites...sometimes purchasing from a family owned buisness in your area is good because they can give you the history of the fish and care.
I had an old uv sterilizer that still works. Cleaned it up and put it in. I have one fish in my health tank rn for ich. (Although he was an *** to get out with that big tank lol) I have a knife fish that I care about the most and so I put that in there for him and also the other fish to try to help keep bad crap out.

jwitty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2018
Also would like to add I found a good pet store that’s family owned and out of all the fish I’ve bought from him I’ve only lost one, while big box stores have had several deaths

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Also would like to add I found a good pet store that’s family owned and out of all the fish I’ve bought from him I’ve only lost one, while big box stores have had several deaths
Good deal. At the box stores the tanks are all on the same water system...so if you see dead/sick fish in one tank the savings are passed on to everybody. I've been in stores with fish so dead they were cotton balls and the stupid employees would be on a cell phone instead of maintaining the tanks properly. One Petco had shredded baby Os that were rescued and put in another tank because some pinhead placed them with red devils.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store