Hikari cichlid gold ok for African cichlids?

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
I want to mention first that I don't have NLS or Omega one brands available before someone tell me to not buy Hikari.

I can get here Hikari. My tank is an African cichlid tank which means their diet consists of more plant matter so Hikari cichlid excel will be a good choice but shall I also feed them cichlid gold as a variety? For example one day excel and next day gold and so on? I just want to make sure if gold is good for them or not because it is said to be rich in protein so I am not sure.

Please advise.

Thanks.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I want to mention first that I don't have NLS or Omega one brands available before someone tell me to not buy Hikari.

I can get here Hikari. My tank is an African cichlid tank which means their diet consists of more plant matter so Hikari cichlid excel will be a good choice but shall I also feed them cichlid gold as a variety? For example one day excel and next day gold and so on? I just want to make sure if gold is good for them or not because it is said to be rich in protein so I am not sure.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Can't speak on the Hikari Gold but personally feed a variety of pellet to a couple of African Peacock Cichlid . They are in with other species of fish but no issue such as bloating. A couple brand of pellet I offer does include algae such as Spirulina.

Reactions: Kashif314

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
Can't speak on the Hikari Gold but personally feed a variety of pellet to a couple of African Peacock Cichlid . They are in with other species of fish but no issue such as bloating. A couple brand of pellet I offer does include algae such as Spirulina.
Thanks. So, I guess I ll be fine with gold.

Reactions: tlindsey

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Ive feed a variety of malawi cichlids cichlid gold without problems. If your looking for floating feed the hikari staple pellets instead of gold. They are based on more green then meaty products. And are made for omnivorous fish.

https://vetzoo.se/hikari-ciklid-sta...PhEPUCYhmh8VfxnrJBM2JmjNl4gQFV7UaAs5aEALw_wcB

The you have hikari spirulina thats an pellet for koi, goldfish, malawi and tanganyka cichlids.

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
Ive feed a variety of malawi cichlids cichlid gold without problems. If your looking for floating feed the hikari staple pellets instead of gold. They are based on more green then meaty products. And are made for omnivorous fish.

https://vetzoo.se/hikari-ciklid-sta...PhEPUCYhmh8VfxnrJBM2JmjNl4gQFV7UaAs5aEALw_wcB

The you have hikari spirulina thats an pellet for koi, goldfish, malawi and tanganyka cichlids.
Thank you. I ordered gold in both floating and sinking pellets. I ll mix them and will feed. I have some very small cichlids who are afraid to come to surface to eat floating food so it ll be good if I mix both sinking and floating pellets together.

I did use staple in past. Fish goes nuts over it but it doesn't have any color boosters in it so that's why I was confused between excel and gold but since you mentioned gold didn't cause any problems to your mbunas so its all good. Gold is said to have more color boosting ingredients than excel..

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Thank you. I ordered gold in both floating and sinking pellets. I ll mix them and will feed. I have some very small cichlids who are afraid to come to surface to eat floating food so it ll be good if I mix both sinking and floating pellets together.

I did use staple in past. Fish goes nuts over it but it doesn't have any color boosters in it so that's why I was confused between excel and gold but since you mentioned gold didn't cause any problems to your mbunas so its all good. Gold is said to have more color boasting ingredients than excel..
How small are the fish? They can take some time to start coloring up.

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
How small are the fish? They can take some time to start coloring up.
They are very small. I am not concerned about their colors yet. I mean in general they are afraid to come to surface when the feeding frenzy is going on.

My peacocks are very vivid but some of them even they are males but not having the same bright colors. I want to try and wanna give them a nutrition food that can help in restoring the washed up color. Even if it doesn't help, the fish will be having a quality food and that makes me happy.

Is there any other brand you recommend besides Hikari? I may order that food online from some other country through Amazon or ebay. Would love to have three four kinds of high quality foods on shelf. Thanks.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Id say if you wanna go for an higher end pellet then look in on northfin

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store