Hikari Monstervore is Coming

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
Is this for those who keep alligators in swimming pools, or ???

Seriously, these are pretty much only going to be well suited for the largest of fish, 30"+. Not that smaller fish can't or won't eat them, but most will chew them up making a mess that will negatively impact water quality, and at the same time will be a waste of nutrients that ultimately will end up in ones filters.

As an example, sturgeon pellets designed for 24"+ fish, are typically 8-10 mm in size. Those new pellets/wafers appear to be approx. 20 mm? Maybe larger?
True, but I imagine large catfish owners will benefit most. Larger peacock bass and other large mouth cichlids will likely also be good candidates for this stuff. I expect my datnoid and giant gourami will eat these eventually. I'll be sticking to Massivore for a while longer but it's great to see they'll have an option once my fish get a little bigger.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Certainly some will find an application suitable for this food, but IMHO most will just be wasting food, and negatively impacting their water quality. One of the largest carnivorous freshwater fish kept in captivity, the white sturgeon, is not raised on pellets anywhere near as large as these. We are talking massive fish, 6-10 ft long! Mouth size does not dictate proper feed size, or proper digestibility. All one has to do is compare commercial aquaculture applications to get a ballpark idea as to what size pellet produces optimum growth/overall health. It's not a perfect science, especially with tropical warm water species where little no research has taken place, so often one can only guesstimate and go with experience as to what works, and what doesn't.

Personally I find Massivore to smell like ass, so no matter the size I wouldn't feed it. There are other large pellets that one can choose from that are far less costly, and don't come with the same level of stink.

Reactions: mattison187

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Would be interested in hearing sir A arapaimag thoughts on this. He's the only guy I know who might actually have an application for this.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
LOL....ass.I have seen quite a few complaints about the smell of massavore pellets but I have never the problem of them smelling particularly bad...the only issue I have had was the smell of the pellets on my finger tips after handling them.

Reactions: Gage Zamrzla

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Certainly some will find an application suitable for this food, but IMHO most will just be wasting food, and negatively impacting their water quality. One of the largest carnivorous freshwater fish kept in captivity, the white sturgeon, is not raised on pellets anywhere near as large as these. We are talking massive fish, 6-10 ft long! Mouth size does not dictate proper feed size, or proper digestibility. All one has to do is compare commercial aquaculture applications to get a ballpark idea as to what size pellet produces optimum growth/overall health. It's not a perfect science, especially with tropical warm water species where little no research has taken place, so often one can only guesstimate and go with experience as to what works, and what doesn't.

Personally I find Massivore to smell like ass, so no matter the size I wouldn't feed it. There are other large pellets that one can choose from that are far less costly, and don't come with the same level of stink.
I actually have a few fish that would benefit greatly with this new size... namely my big gator gars as they struggle to pick up the smaller massivore pellets.
I also dislike the nasty smell of carnivore after it enters the water. What other feds would you recommend RD? I need sinking because of my overflows.. hard to find sinking pellets.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
LOL....ass.I have seen quite a few complaints about the smell of massavore pellets but I have never the problem of them smelling particularly bad...the only issue I have had was the smell of the pellets on my finger tips after handling them.
You might have gotten used to the smell by now! hahaha... or perhaps you don't dump a lot into your tank at once.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There never was much of a smell for me to get used to and I don't just dump them into my tank.I grab handfulls from out of the bag and toss them in a few at a time.

Reactions: Gage Zamrzla

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
There never was much of a smell for me to get used to and I don't just dump them into my tank.I grab handfulls from out of the bag and toss them in a few at a time.
Same here, a few pellets at a time is the way to go. The smell only comes up if you're overfeeding or throwing in too much at once to where it doesn't get eaten right away.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Trying to feed pellets to rays requires feeding a lot. My cichlids will get every sinking gold pellet before they touch the floor, often requiring 3-4 pellets to be content enough to chew on them, and these are peanuts compared to what Vince keeps on top of his saucers. I've noticed smells with cichlid gold and massivore when I'm feeding enough for the rays. Sometimes I'm too lazy to cut up fish. Add in preggo females and platinum gars in every nook and cranny and you have some big pellet requirements.

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store