hith? bacterial pitting? whats going on here

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
hey so my severums are showing some abnormal pitting or marks on the "face". on the smaller one in particular I've noticed its gotten worse with some areas whitish but not fuzzy at all. no redness or open sores from what I can tell either, the sensory pitts just look bigger. the tank is a little crowded but I usually do a 30% wc twice a week when possible, I've stepped that up to every other day since I noticed this. any suggestions beyond clean water?

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
Any pics?

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
the smaller of the two a couple weeks ago
This is him now

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
sorry about the second pics I had to nag the gf to take them for me because I'm at work

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
sorry my computer sucks i cant see anything in those pics.. someone should chime in soon

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I would focus on keeping nitrates as low as possible and try to improve diet in any way if possible and watch to see if condition gets worse

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I just googled the city of Winnipeg Water Quality Report,https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...oygQY6lOOlWnLfocw&sig2=rCO7s1s5BuuWynGb28yK_Q
From the looks of it (if that is where you are from?) the tap water is close to neutral in pH, not too hard, and has a slightly low alkalinity. Which to me means you need to keep up the heavy water change schedule. HITH is not a condition that happens overnight, and cannot be cured over night. Constant clean water is what you need, which means lots of water changes, and lots of filter media rinsing. HITH is usually a stress induced disease, so any other stressful elements should be considered, things like, overfeeding, over crowding (for tank size) etc

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
honestly not sure what your fish have but HITH is a possibility. HITH is more of a complex involving water quality, diet and nutrition.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store