Honduran Red Point Tank

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I don't know how aggressive hrp are when breeding but I wouldn't put any "target" fish in there if they're anything like convicts. You're basically adding fish so they can get beat on and be stressed the hell out 24/7.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I started with a group of 8 one to two inch HRPs in a 45gal, but when the pair formed, I had to remove the others. Unless acquiring an already mated pair, I believe it works best to allow a pair to form on their own terms out of a group.

Reactions: cichlidfish

Guenivere

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2016
White Rock B.C.
Yeah, I'm not gonna get greedy - I'll let the little fishes tell me what's best for them. My biggest concern is aggression towards each other during breeding, which is the only reason I'd consider target fish. It isn't a huge tank though, so less is probably more in this case - I know I could put more fish in there, but I kinda like my nice little planted aqua garden with a few fish instead of a fish tank that has some plants. I'd loove to have a pair of hrp on the bottom and a few Congo tetras up top (my favourite) but after seeing their activity level in a 6 ft tank I don't think I could put them into a 3 ft. Just too little swimming room imo. Odessa barbs is an idea! My last lfs suggested them to me for my 70 gallon at one point, they're pretty cool looking. I've also always liked green tiger barbs but have been worried about them nipping my more delicate fish.

Haha maybe I should get the Hondurans and grow them out before going too far down this road - fish have a habit of changing the plans I've made for them. Battle plans rarely survive the first engagement and all that

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I don't know how aggressive hrp are when breeding but I wouldn't put any "target" fish in there if they're anything like convicts. You're basically adding fish so they can get beat on and be stressed the hell out 24/7.
They are not nearly as aggressive as convicts. They are good parents and will protect their fry though.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I've found that HRPs are not hard on plants floating or other - I even put a troublemaker one in a 29 gallon planted tank as a "permanent" time out and he didn't bother anything. I'd have lots of cover and targets. While they are not as aggressive as other convict types, I have found two things:
1) The size difference in male to female can be much greater than other convict types - so the female can have a hard time sticking up for herself if her mate is being pushy - need to have cover and two pairs or other targets
2) They are a little like sajica where the pair bond is not as great as w/ other convict types, and the male can be very pushy and damage the female if they are in a tank alone and he wants to breed real quick and she is not ready yet. He won't kill her overnight - just constant harassment

I got some beautiful blue ones from Rapps. First two pics are when they were younger. The third pic is of one that turned out completely different from the rest. He became platinum (can't really see in the picture), had a bigger and more red tail, and didn't like to breed w/ other HRPs - really had a thing for a Rio Cabuya Siquia gal - I kept one of their fry - last pic attached - he is a complete bastard and already at 6" View attachment 1205657 View attachment 1205658 View attachment 1205660 View attachment 1205661
How long did it take that third one to turn out like that?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store