Hoplias aimara attack !!!

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
That is the most active and aggressive wolf fish i had seen. Let alone a black one.
The common name black wolffish is associated with Hoplias curupira. This is Hoplias aimara. Not sure if you were literally just referencing its color or saying black as in the species

Reactions: peter predtank

crayfishlobster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2017
The common name black wolffish is associated with Hoplias curupira. This is Hoplias aimara. Not sure if you were literally just referencing its color or saying black as in the species
I meant species this kind usually lies around waiting for prey. Basically a lurker.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I meant species this kind usually lies around waiting for prey. Basically a lurker.
All Hoplias pretty much do that. Actually the only open water wolf is the gold wolf hoplerythrinus unitaeniatus. Maybe other hoplerythrinus as well, not much known on the group. But if anything aimara would probably be the most active being the one found in rivers the most. Though lacerdae and curupira might give it a run for its money. They're all still ambush predators.

Reactions: peter predtank

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
This behaviour makes for interesting tank maitence thats for sure . iv had a couple near misses . should be even more fun when they get to about the two foot mark . i would imagine they could do some damage by then :eek:

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Yea Hoplias especially are nocturnal. Hoplery is diurnal. Not sure about ery, they seem to be lazy once large no matter what. Matter fact the last one I had was the only one I ever had that was active. He was typical at first in a 30b. Active when young once he hit 7" he got fat and lazy. Then I put him in my 120 and he acted just like my gold wolf. Here's some pics. He tried to fight with both my odoe and gold wolf they ignored him completely. Upon first introduction he tried hiding with my Trachy she bit him good and kicked him out.IMG_2066.JPGIMG_2075.JPGIMG_2079.JPGIMG_2082.JPGIMG_2493.JPG
And they can do damage now if you let them. But at 2' you'd definitly need stitches if they get a good grab. Hell maybe with a nip.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store