Hoplias Teres

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
Yes still with three of the Brycon. The red tail did get tagged and died with a fairly substaincial injury. He does go for the others but they seem to be able to get out of the way. The ATF died unfortunately with no marks, I suspect from being spooked and hitting the side.

Perhaps a topic for another thread. From a growth POV. He has gone through a fairly long period of not eating very well and what looked like HITH. So suspect that has reduced the growth.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Def. a topic for another thread. You probably saw my thread about my aimara and HITH was one of the issues I had to deal with.

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
They were caught quite frequently there around the Argentina Paraguay Uruguay area. The one taxonomy paper for h. mbigua had them caught along with these. Never heard of them else where.

Maybe Venezuela is a source.

There isn't too much info on them.
Thanks, could you point me towards where in the doc it states that, just had a quick read of the mbigua taxonomy doc. Looking at the 'comparative material examined' it refers to Hoplias teres from lake maraciabo, Venezuela.

http://www.lillo.org.ar/revis/zoo/59-1-2/04.pdf

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sorry I think I read it wrong as I looked over it just now. They just compared it to teres but that's it.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I'll see if I can find where it was being found. I remember reading it somewhere.

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
Visited my lfs this weekend. I need to wait for payday to collect it. Visually it defiantly looks different to Malabaricus. The pictures don't real show the colour very well and not crystal clear as taken on the phone but here goes.

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Interesting head shape. Doesn't look malabaricus. That's not much to say either. Much variation with color and head shape. Looks australis almost. Especially if the folds remain like that.

Not much is known about any h. Teres.

How big is it? Pore count? Cause 15cm or 6in is reported to be the size for males. Similar to mala so i expect the pore count to be 4.

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
Its somewhere between 10"-12". I'll have to wait to get it home for the pore count and better pictures. I do kind of see you point on Australia. I have spent the afternoon going through many images, i do think it's different. I could be wrong of course.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Still a nice wolf. Looks distinct so not a loss at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store