How’s the weather?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Speaking of freak weather...we have been having a spell of hot weather lately, which is not unusual for a few weeks each summer...but yesterday we had a torrential rainstorm lasting several hours. That is not typical for July for us. The rain gauge in my yard showed a rainfall of just over three inches!!! Friends approximately 15km north reported almost four!!!!! That all fell between about 8:00 and 14:00.

The flooding from spring had barely subsided from the yard; the roadside ditches are filled to overflowing; major over-the-highway flooding in the closest town to us; and once again, the fish from my inground pond are frolicking about the yard. I have had to re-install the weir at the lowest point of my yard, a sort of French Drain into the adjacent pasture, to prevent the loss of my fish!

The water has been falling since yesterday afternoon; I go out periodically to shepherd the fish back towards the pond to make sure they don't get stranded in other low points. Sadly, I had several thousand very small fry in there and many will be lost as they go unnoticed on the lawn.

On the positive side: the Yellowjacket nest under the deck near the pond seems to have been flooded out...and earthworms are available in great abundance! :) Unfortunately, worms must be kept alive (not difficult) for future use; otherwise, worms are like bananas, i.e. if you try freezing them...you will end up throwing them away. :)

• Wow
Reactions: deeda and Deadeye

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Wow...I just realized that yesterday's rainfall of 3+ inches in my yard...when converted using the commonly-accepted 10/1 ratio...equates to well over 30 inches of snowfall! Sadly, snowfall is what I think of when I hear "precipitation"...:(

So yesterday is officially the single greatest one-day amount of precipitation that I have ever experienced, and by a considerable margin.

It's a shame that such a momentous occasion was really nothing more than just a giant PITA.

And...it looks like the dang Yellowjackets survived! Lose/lose...

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Before climate change was even a thing the UK, in 1976, we had the hottest and driest prolonged period of weather ever recorded. It was mid 20's to low 30's every day for about 7 weeks. And climate change wasn't even mentioned, nor have we had a prolonged hot dry spell since.
It wasn't mentioned because back then, stuff happened, and then was reported, and that was it. It wasn't necessary for every single event to be spun up into the next world-ending disaster that spelled the doom of all life on Earth.

Solar storms occurred...asteroids approached and departed...epidemics came and went...invasive species invaded, and usually ebbed down to a manageable level afterwards...

We heard about it, shrugged, said something like "Well, s**t happens"...and then went on with life. Not saying that was better, but...ignorance was bliss...:)

Thank goodness that we are so well informed and so globally conscious today... :uhoh:

Grumpy old fart signing off... :)

Reactions: Wideglide04

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
We had steady rain Sunday into early Monday which was great as it was sorely needed. We started again Tuesday with a bit of a heat wave, high 80's and humid, today it was 88F at 2 PM and expecting some rain and high winds this evening so hopefully it won't be too bad. It's supposed to cool off tomorrow, only 84F but then bump back up to the high's until Monday.

The wonderful thing about the steady rain on Sunday was all the small frogs frolicking on the patio, might have been tree frogs. About 10 PM I opened the patio door and closed the screen and an hour later I noticed one frog hopping along the carpet and had a heck of a time catching him to return it to the great outdoors after rinsing all the cat hair off it.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
"Only 84F"...holy crap, listen to the stuff we are saying nowadays...:)

Funny you should mention the frogs. We always have a lot of Boreal Chorus Frogs and Wood Frogs in our area, as well as good numbers of Grey Tree Frogs. But right now, between the ridiculous rainfall in the spring, the ridiculous rainfall yesterday, and the long, over-due-for-mowing grass...there are thousands of those first two species on the lawn. You literally can't take a step without spooking at least a couple. They are all small froglets, recently transformed from tadpoles, most no longer than 1/2-inch. Cute as bugs! :)20220719_210247.jpg20220719_210251.jpg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store