How’s the weather?

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Honestly, Niki, I actually prefer colder weather during the winter, just because of the sort of nonsense with which you are dealing now. We virtually never have temps go above freezing between mid-Nov and mid-Mar and as a result, we don't get that infernal thaw/melt cycling that makes driving...and walking!...so treacherous. Generally speaking, that first snowflake in late-Oct or early-Nov is still smiling and waving at me when I walk by in March.

Here are a couple pics taken just now through various windows at home. The snow is coming down heavy right now, not too visible because they are small, heavy flakes. Supposed to continue for the rest of the day...:( For scale, the big door on the steel building is 12 feet tall, the fence around the small wildflower garden is 3 feet tall, and the table in the far rear right corner of the one pic is a platform bird feeder 4 feet tall. The deck in the third picture was completely clear of snow 24 hours ago.

I'm only home from work for one week...really didn't need or want this crap...

View attachment 1485280View attachment 1485283View attachment 1485286
Yea it’s been terrible!
I agree with you, -10 to -15 is perfect as nothing really thaws or gets too slick

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
It rained overnight, and then became summer in mid-afternoon. It was quite warm. I went deep sea fishing yesterday, and it was raining on the drive their (At 4 in the morning), and then completely clear around 12:00. Weird weather pattern.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Well since it's nice out today at 45F, I trudged out to the shed with a shovel to unblock the doors so I could access the snowblower. Both tires are almost flat and no gas in the tank so dug out the pancake air compressor and a gas can, filled the tires and tank and proceeded up to the house.

Went to clean off the back patio and ran over the extension cord for the bird bath heater, neatly severing the cord and wrapping it around the blower blades. :WHOA: Unplugged the extension cord in the garage, unwrapped the cord from the blower and proceeded to run the blower again.

The wheels stopped turning for some reason so had to remove the metal plate covering the chain drives and found it completely packed with mouse nests, debris and a couple mice ran out and off across the snow.

Finally got it working just right and finished the path across the patio and to the propane tank and across the front yard and got 1/2 the gravel driveway done before the vibrations just wore my arms out. The boyfriend finished the driveway enough so we can get out and I can schedule a propane delivery in the next couple days. :headbang2

Remember folks, service your yard and vehicle equipment before you need to use it to avoid unexpected down time especially during the cold weather months. We still need to take the tire and rim off the tractor back hoe as the tire is completely off the rim. :irked:

I also need a good pair of water proof boots for the winter, anyone have any suggestions?

Reactions: jjohnwm and Deadeye

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Reactions: deeda

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Not sure why my wife scurried to snap my pic as I stood on the porch snapping ice off my face. She claims my granddaughters will enjoy evidence of my suffering.

Not sure about that, but I figured some here might.

20220119_172659.jpg20220119_170833_001.jpg

And I second the recommendation for Muck boots! They are perhaps not quite as durable as some brands but their relatively lower price and unmatched comfort make them my favourite. I have several pairs ranging from uninsulated to arctic style and usually reach for them first.

Baffin Titans would likely be my ultimate choice for the absolute coldest conditions. Pac-type removable liners for easy drying out and cleaning. Rated for -148F! If that's not enough...you shouldn't be outside.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Not sure why my wife scurried to snap my pic as I stood on the porch snapping ice off my face. She claims my granddaughters will enjoy evidence of my suffering.

Not sure about that, but I figured some here might.

View attachment 1485413View attachment 1485414

And I second the recommendation for Muck boots! They are perhaps not quite as durable as some brands but their relatively lower price and unmatched comfort make them my favourite. I have several pairs ranging from uninsulated to arctic style and usually reach for them first.

Baffin Titans would likely be my ultimate choice for the absolute coldest conditions. Pac-type removable liners for easy drying out and cleaning. Rated for -148F! If that's not enough...you shouldn't be outside.
Nice to see another face covered in ice!! Though I doubt you feel the same ?

how cold was it and how long were you out!

I’m glad my beard doesn’t freezelike that

Reactions: jjohnwm and deeda

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Nice to see another face covered in ice!! Though I doubt you feel the same ?

how cold was it and how long were you out!

I’m glad my beard doesn’t freezelike that
Temp was around -25C, windchill mid -30's. We're back into another cold spell, with temps forecast to rise on Friday for one day only...apparently to be accompanied by another dump of snow!...and then cold again afterwards. :(

Last time I saw a picture of you you had a lovely soft feminine look going on too, shame. Lol.
What exactly is that supposed to mean??? Oh, wait...you're talking to Niki...never mind...:)

Hair maintenance is no joke ?
I wouldn't know...:)

Reactions: esoxlucius
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store