How big should I go?

Lepisosteus

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
So the people on here saying an 8x4x2 is a must are now saying that even an 8x4x2 is to small…OP, if you want an arowana buy an arowana. You have a 300 gallon tank which is likely 3x bigger than any tank that the people telling you no have. It’s a lot better than the tank it was likely going to end up in.

Lepisosteus

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
By the logic these guys keep fish , if there's someone whose one leg has been chopped off due to an accident. These guys will chop off the other leg too cause the guy was already in pain and not chopping off the other leg was not giving the man happiness.
Wow what humane a thought.. ?
I think that’s a poor comparison on what anyone here is arguing and I can’t think you could be any farther off. I guess the leg being the aquarium in this situation and the man being the arowana, it would be more along the lines that while you can’t give the man his other leg back giving him full mobility (a lake to swim in) you are giving him a prosthetic (300 gallon tank). In the end I think the man is happy he is alive and getting what he needs regardless. Now we are just arguing which prosthetic leg is better.

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
I think that’s a poor comparison on what anyone here is arguing and I can’t think you could be any farther off. I guess the leg being the aquarium in this situation and the man being the arowana, it would be more along the lines that while you can’t give the man his other leg back giving him full mobility (a lake to swim in) you are giving him a prosthetic (300 gallon tank). In the end I think the man is happy he is alive and getting what he needs regardless. Now we are just arguing which prosthetic leg is better.
--------------------------------------------------... ----------------------... --------------------------------------------------

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
It's not just about the aro.
There's Oscars, jack Dempseys, p. Bass, rays, bichirs. Are they not being counted?
Is a 300 enough for all of them?

Joshuakahan

Banned
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
It's not just about the aro.
There's Oscars, jack Dempseys, p. Bass, rays, bichirs. Are they not being counted?
Is a 300 enough for all of them?
If it were my tank , I’d do two kelberi and 5 or 6 LJ bichirs and skip the rest

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
If it were my tank , I’d do two kelberi and 5 or 6 LJ bichirs and skip the rest
Yea now you get my point.
That's the reason I was suggesting 8*3 or maybe better a 10*4 because of ovelap in the preference of the bottom pannel by the rays and bichir. Bichir may not be very active but rays certainly are.
BTW my endli would always swim the whole tank as I kept the tank very lightly lit. Dim the tanks and see the so called lethargic bichirs get energetic.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
So the people on here saying an 8x4x2 is a must are now saying that even an 8x4x2 is to small…OP, if you want an arowana buy an arowana. You have a 300 gallon tank which is likely 3x bigger than any tank that the people telling you no have. It’s a lot better than the tank it was likely going to end up in.
Op you have a choice. If your happy to contain an active predator that could grow anywhere from 3 to 4 feet in 300 gallons then go for it.
There are many other fish you could choose that a 300 would make a spacious comfortable home for. I would rather stock with fish that could move freely and be able to swim at full speed, something that i didn't grow to pity so much. At the end of the day its your call op. To buy a fish that gets to big for your aquarium with the attitude, it's probably better than what someone else would give it is ridiculous. Your just promoting the problem.

Reactions: Deadeye

Joshuakahan

Banned
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Op you have a choice. If your happy to contain an active predator that could grow anywhere from 3 to 4 feet in 300 gallons then go for it.
There are many other fish you could choose that a 300 would make a spacious comfortable home for. I would rather stock with fish that could move freely and be able to swim at full speed, something that i didn't grow to pity so much. At the end of the day its your call op. To buy a fish that gets to big for your aquarium with the attitude, it's probably better than what someone else would give it is ridiculous. Your just promoting the problem.
It would probably be 5-10 years before an aro got too big. Worst case scenario, he could by a juvie and sell it in 10’years if he even still has it then. A lot can change in a decade.

Reactions: Krismo962

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
It would probably be 5-10 years before an aro got too big. Worst case scenario, he could by a juvie and sell it in 10’years if he even still has it then. A lot can change in a decade.
I'm assuming he wants to keep it. Even so after 3years that fish will be a sorry sight in a 300. And yes it's growth will slow down mainly due to inadequate living conditions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store