How big should I go?

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
I think an aro would have a **** life in a 500
By the logic these guys keep fish , if there's someone whose one leg has been chopped off due to an accident. These guys will chop off the other leg too cause the guy was already in pain and not chopping off the other leg was not giving the man happiness.
Wow what humane a thought.. ?

Joshuakahan

Banned
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I don't fish and I've not given a size recommendation one way or another. My personal belief is fish like arowana are to easily accessible to the casual keeper that has little empathy for the the fish or how it spends its entire life.
I also feel that people that suggest these smaller tank sizes are contributing to the death of the hobby. These large fish in tight quarters only give organisations like PETA weight to their argument in the case of unfair living conditions for captive fish.
The people you’re referring to like PETA are the ones I was referring to that humanize fish. An aro won’t be less miserable in a 500 than a 300. It knows if it’s hungry, or in pain or discomfort and that’s about it. So as long as the water is clean, the fish won’t really notice the difference

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
The people you’re referring to like PETA are the ones I was referring to that humanize fish. An aro won’t be less miserable in a 500 than a 300. It knows if it’s hungry, or in pain or discomfort and that’s about it. So as long as the water is clean, the fish won’t really notice the difference
I don't know if they do humanize fish. I know I don't. I still can't look at an aro in a 300 or a 500 and feel nothing but pity for it. A solitary life with next to no stimulation interaction or exercise. There is, at least to my mind a lot more to providing for a captive fish than clean water.

Reactions: ..puSkar..

Joshuakahan

Banned
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I don't know if they do humanize fish. I know I don't. I still can't look at an aro in a 300 or a 500 and feel nothing but pity for it. A solitary life with next to no stimulation interaction or exercise. There is, at least to my mind a lot more to providing for a captive fish than clean water.
But do fish notice the difference, not you, is what the question should be. I think some do like puffers , but most don’t

Reactions: Krismo962

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Do fish notice what difference?
I think he is asking if the aro notices whether it is hitting a glass wall or not.
Every inch gives the aro extra swimming room before it has to turn. To say that an extra 2 feet and 200 gallons goes unnoticed by the fish is absurd.

Joshuakahan

Banned
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I think he is asking if the aro notices whether it is hitting a glass wall or not.
Every inch gives the aro extra swimming room before it has to turn. To say that an extra 2 feet and 200 gallons goes unnoticed by the fish is absurd.
How do you know an animal with a brain as small and primitive as a fish notices beyond having to turn around due to an obstacle?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store