How do I get LOW pH?

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
There is no need to lower pH, to successfully keep domestic strains of discus. The only thing that a lower pH does is increase the % of eggs that successfully hatch. A local breeder here kept his discus at pH 8.0, and only adjusted tanks where pairs were actively spawning.
Agreed 100%...I’ve kept and bred discus for years and what RD. RD. is advising is correct. It’s best not to mess around with pH unless you are willing to be really consistent about premixing and remineralizing RO or RODI water. They need stability and clean water above all, so you can just raise domestics in tap and do lots of water changes. The only time I would mess with their water chemistry was at breeding time...the eggs are less liable to fungus and have better batch rates in softer, acidic water. Then I’d transition the fry to tap as soon as possible. Don’t make your life harder...domestics are highly adaptable.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Almond leaves lower ph
Use driftwood and peat.
If you have a high KH around 8 degrees like my tap, driftwood, peat, and almond leaves won't do much to bring the PH down. At this high of buffering capacity it took me 1 cup of sphagnum peat to lower 24 cups of water with a KH of 8 degrees and a PH of 7.8 to around a KH of 4 degrees and a PH 6.8.

Reactions: imabot
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store