How do sumps work???

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
Ok, so I know they are a place where you can put heaters, protein/phosphate skimmers (for saltwater) etc., and a place where you can do custom filtration, as well as using a normal store bought filter, as well as lessening the bioload by adding more water quantity. What I want to know is, how do you get the water from the main display tank into the sump, and back again? I know it probably uses some return pump, but I can't really find anything (like maybe a website titled "sump basics, for total idiots").

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
You have an overflow system in the tank, then the water passes through the whole sump before being sent up via return pump. As it gets pumped back more water overflows and goes through the sump again. That's it basically :)

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
You could, someone I know breeds bristlenose plecos in his cichlid tank sump and sells the babies :)

Reactions: Drstrangelove

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
I guess you wouldn't be able to add too much stuff to it, but if it was an adequate size you probably could. Lots of people that do saltwater use them as refugiums.

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
Could you post a picture of the kind of pumps they use to get bring the water back? If you have one though, or know someone who does.

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
I've actually watched a couple of his videos as I've been thinking about ( for my birthday) building a 150 gallon tank to go in my room. I could maybe get rid of my native tank (put em' in the big one) and my black ghost knife also needs an upgrade as well. The man on king of diy, His voice is so high though! But I guess Canadians speak somewhat higher.

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
I I did I would definitely use the submerged filter, as Im sick of listening to my silent stream vibrate my room. Plus I could use a lot of different types of media to polish the water really well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store