How has the coronavirus affected your personal life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Made my first trip to a doctors office yesterday. There were practices in place but I saw holes in them. To be sure I knew there is no 100% safe way to have multiple people in and out of an office building. They did the best they could.
The best thing being it was a dermatologist office so some less chance of a patient being there for a virus infection. ( I hope). I had to call from my truck from the parking lot. Then they called me in allowing only four at a time. Sad part will be if I catch the virus as I had no new issues for once. (Note to those who are now young - Be careful out in the sun. I have been told by the doctor I have a lot of sun damage.) Usually a big round of cryosurgery every time I go in the last 20 years and a couple of biopsies. All clear for once.

Saw where the guidelines for testing are changing. Did not make sense to test those who are not sick after it was determined the virus is so very widespread. Testing everyone you can who may have been exposed works early in an outbreak when there is a fighting chance to effectively isolate the virus. Not so much now.

My guess is they have so very few tools in the shed to use at this time so they kept on with what had worked in the past. Makes me think of the record keeping and paper grading I kept on doing so I could backup the grades students earned. Even tho no fault could be pointed out in my procedures when several students failed in a semester, the principals would call me in for a conference. When I stood my ground slightly after I got tenure I was basically told to change the grades. After I got time enough in to have a pension I then refused to change the grades myself. The principals would then call me in and tell me if I refused to change the failing grades he/she would do it themselves. In one school system they had a form for changing grades. One semester I had 17 failing students so i went and got 17 forms. I signed all the forms but left them blank. Took them to the principal and let him fix a grade to them . After all I had been working personally with the students for 18 weeks while he likely never met them, so it made sense he knew the grade they deserved. I digress.

• Haha
Reactions: Ulu

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
A friend called today to say he received a certified letter, stating he'd probably been exposed to someone with the virus, at his last doctor visit.
I've probably been exposed on every trip to the grocery. Never got a letter.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Wouldn’t it make more sense to call them rather than wait additional time to send them a letter? Is anyone else curious about that bit?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
My first thought is that’s doubtful but that is a possibility but also unprofessional and could also lead to lawsuits I would think. I could argue either way as there are valid arguments for both sides.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
There are also arguments for viewpoints we haven't considered yet.

Maybe the state or the insurance industry leaders passed down a ruling we haven't read.

People make seemingly logical rules every day, then turn around later and see something they never noticed that inverts their brain.

Reactions: fishhead0103666

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Hello; Made my first trip to a doctors office yesterday. There were practices in place but I saw holes in them. To be sure I knew there is no 100% safe way to have multiple people in and out of an office building. They did the best they could.
The best thing being it was a dermatologist office so some less chance of a patient being there for a virus infection. ( I hope). I had to call from my truck from the parking lot. Then they called me in allowing only four at a time. Sad part will be if I catch the virus as I had no new issues for once. (Note to those who are now young - Be careful out in the sun. I have been told by the doctor I have a lot of sun damage.) Usually a big round of cryosurgery every time I go in the last 20 years and a couple of biopsies. All clear for once.

Saw where the guidelines for testing are changing. Did not make sense to test those who are not sick after it was determined the virus is so very widespread. Testing everyone you can who may have been exposed works early in an outbreak when there is a fighting chance to effectively isolate the virus. Not so much now.

My guess is they have so very few tools in the shed to use at this time so they kept on with what had worked in the past. Makes me think of the record keeping and paper grading I kept on doing so I could backup the grades students earned. Even tho no fault could be pointed out in my procedures when several students failed in a semester, the principals would call me in for a conference. When I stood my ground slightly after I got tenure I was basically told to change the grades. After I got time enough in to have a pension I then refused to change the grades myself. The principals would then call me in and tell me if I refused to change the failing grades he/she would do it themselves. In one school system they had a form for changing grades. One semester I had 17 failing students so i went and got 17 forms. I signed all the forms but left them blank. Took them to the principal and let him fix a grade to them . After all I had been working personally with the students for 18 weeks while he likely never met them, so it made sense he knew the grade they deserved. I digress.
Disturbing but not surprising.

Up here in Canuckistan there is great concern over the emotional and psychological stress inflicted upon a student who "fails". It is apparently so damaging to those poor children that many school districts no longer issue a fail...rather, the official designation is "deferred success", which allows these students to continue to advance alongside their "immediately successful" peers with no stigma attached.

Makes sense to me...:nilly::headshake:screwy::shakehead

• Wow
Reactions: deeda

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Failing school is major to many people, especially with parental pressure to succeed. A lot of students do not have the resources or suitable home environment to study properly so I have sympathy for those who have had their education interrupted by Covid.

Many students at my university on bursaries come from rural areas without steady access to power or internet. The university has worked with telecoms companies to give out data and is providing study devices for our online work but I feel like a significant number of students will be left in the dust due to this pandemic.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Now with a proven case of getting Covid-19 twice, will a vaccine even work.
With seven different strains will we need 7 different vaccines....
To many unknowns still....

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I guess it depends how the immune response is stimulated by a vaccine, we don't know if secondary infection is as bad as the first one either. Time and good research will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store