How has the coronavirus affected your personal life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
More than 1700 US health care workers have died from COVID-19.

and at least 7000 health care workers have died world wide.

There is a big difference in 6 feet and having aerosolized viruses spread throughout a facility through a closed air system. I can't imagine having to work a 12 hr shift where taking off your mask to eat a quick bite might lead to your demise. I'm glad I'm retired.

Because a high percentage of infected people are totally asymptomatic, screening (temperature readings, questioning for symptoms) doesn't work that well. At our small local hospital, everyone is stopped at the entrance and questioned and temperatures are taken. That did not prevent an OB nurse from infecting a newborn and its parents in the hospital. What was really sad, is that the parents had been quarantining at home with others doing the shopping and running errands for them. Then they go the the hospital and get infected. Recently, at another facility, a nurse showed up at work with symptoms. She managed to expose all her co-workers to COVID-19. it's definitely a dangerous time to get sick and need medical attention.

• Sad
Reactions: deeda

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
big difference in 6 feet and having aerosolized viruses spread throughout a facility through a closed air system.
Hello; Yes to this. There are several implications from the aerosol particles which have been dismissed for months. I get why talk from folks like me was ignored since my notion was mostly guess work based on observations and not backed by a clinical or some other such evidence. However there has been compelling evidence cited by respected authorities for some months now.

We, the general public, have been doing the six feet distance and counting on masks for a long time now. Best spin I can come up with is sadly there is not much effective to be done about aerosolized virus for most of us. Life and some jobs have to go on and cannot be stopped for many months. I require food so I go to the big box stores like Kroger and Wal-Mart. Workers at those places have to keep coming to work so I can have food. Farmers have to keep growing food. We need gasoline and other commodities. I could go on but figure the point is made.

There are some things to rethink. Masks, at least the sort I can find, will not stop the aerosol particles. They will stop the droplets so are still worth something, just not as much. All summer I kept my screened windows and doors open and they were open with fans going the two times I had visitors. I only ran the central air when alone, usually at night. Now it is fall, my house is closed up and will be for months. I do not get much company so will not likely be an issue.

Outside during daylight I do not wear a mask. I figure the sunlight UV ought to kill virus in the air. I do not know exactly how long that actually takes but am guessing it is fairly quick. Outside the air should dissipate virus as well. I guess being outside in close proximity to a lot of others might be questionable. I can recall being in stands at races or games and smelling cigarette smoke from a distance, so being outside in a crowd may be less than ideal. I guess it gets down to how far and how long a person is willing to go with precautions.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
. . . Then they go the the hospital and get infected. . . .
I have to have broken bones or a knife sticking out of me to walk into a hospital willingly.
And that was before Covid19. I avoid hospitals religiously.

I did the window engineering and fabrication drawings for the chapel remodel in our Catholic hospital. I paid somebody to go take the measurements, and even after the job was finished I didn't go see it from the inside for 30 years. It was quite striking. I should have taken photos, but professional pics are online.

Reactions: pacu mom

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I have to have broken bones or a knife sticking out of me to walk into a hospital willingly.
And that was before Covid19. I avoid hospitals religiously
Hello; Yes to this. I went to a doctor's office in early September but it was a dermatologist office, not a general hospital. I figure or perhaps just hope sick folks at a dermatologist do not have contageous stuff. I needed to have a follow up on a bioposy and have a spot on my back checked out. Even so I had post phoned the visit a couple of times.
When I do visit a hospital or small medical office the clothes I wear are taken off as soon as I get home and go into the wash with a disinfectant. I use Lysol laundry sanitizer with out any bleach on colored clothes. The detergent itself should dissolve the lipid (fat) layer of many pathogens and so kill them but a little bleach or the Lysol stuff is extra.
I do not pick up magazines at an office. I bring my own books to read. I try to bring my own pens to write with. I wash my hands usually on the way out of an office or hospital and then first things at home and after taking off my clothes. I do not have a mud room in my house but such would be a good place to shed clothes, shoes and other such stuff from the outside.

Reactions: fishhead0103666

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I think I have jinxed myself.

I was rushing to stop a dogfight, and spun suddenly to wack my foot hard against the corner of a refrigerator.

It may be broken.

• Sad
Reactions: deeda and pacu mom

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I think I have jinxed myself.

I was rushing to stop a dogfight, and spun suddenly to wack my foot hard against the corner of a refrigerator.

It may be broken.
I do hope it’s not broken comrade.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Yeah I really like to avoid the hospital right now, as you all would.

It appears the swelling is going now and I am walking with some pain. I understand the nurses are infected with Covid so I definitely don’t wanna go meet them.

Anyhow, with my swollen foot I managed to go to the dentist today and get some minor fillings repaired. I had some white composite fillings that were 45 years old and finally fell out. I wonder if the new stuff they put in will last as long? I’ll have to live to 110 to find out.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
The foot is sore but recovering and 90% functional.
I think in three days I'll have forgotten it happened.

I borrowed a chassis punch from my oldest friend, and he came to deliver it. Wearing a mask.
I've seen him in the hospital about 6 times, but that's the first time I've ever seen him in a mask.

He's diabetic, overweight, & has other issues . . . truly unwelcome, issues if one plans to live.

Reactions: fishhead0103666

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Well that’s great about your foot, I certainly do hope things don’t take a turn for the worst regarding your foot or your health comrade.

I also hope it ends well for your friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store