How has the coronavirus affected your personal life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
LOL, I guess people are just tired of reading about this silly old pandemic. I have never once mentioned politics, I'm just an online bully I suppose. I've been a member here for about the same length of time as Matt, and I happen to completely understand his point of view. One of the main reasons why I seldom post on this site any longer is due to how this pandemic has affected me, and my life, for better and worse.

Good luck

Reactions: dogofwar

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Last response and I'm out

My message throughout has been for people to follow guidance from the CDC and science and NOT politicians, random Youtube videos, cable commentators and the other known sources of misinformation that have and are literally contributing to hundreds of thousands of deaths and untold suffering.

Evidently, this is controversial and "political" in the same way that, say, agreeing with NASA and the 98% of scientists that climate change is real and man-contributed.

I'm sure that people get bent out of shape when they get called out for spreading (dangerous) misinformation. Maybe they shouldn't spread (dangerous) misinformation during a global pandemic ;)

I went a few years without posting on MFK. Probably give it another break for a few more.

Sure, but this thread is deviating constantly and leading down the same road that led to the TOS being updated. I am culling off misinformation by keeping this thread to the point, I am sorry that Covid impacts you and your people.

I didn't take away only your soap box, I took away the others too. Frankly I don't quite understand your response but if you want to kick off from the forum after 15 years because the discussion was closed then it's your choice. I have received complaints about this discussion, you are more than welcome to offer to discuss it in PM's with the other members involved.

Reactions: RD.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Many thanks to the health care workers all over the world who daily risk their lives working in COVID 19 war zones. Initially in this pandemic, many did not have the personal protective equipment needed to provide them with a modicum of safety. Many had to wear a single mask all day and reuse it for more days. Perhaps in some countries this is still true. Can't imagine working a 12 hr shift. With the virus being airborne, is there a safe place where they can take a break, take off their masks and get a quick bite to eat?

This article was written in May. The numbers are higher now.

We thought Ebola was bad, but COVID 19 has impacted every one of us in one way or another. For many of us, it has caused a rift between family members and friends with some taking the threat very seriously and others poopooing the idea that COVID 19 is a threat. It has caused a chasm that may not be able to be bridged. And while we sit around in our comfort zones giving our opinion on the matter, health care workers are on the frontlines fighting this scourge. KUDOS to them.

• Love
Reactions: RD. and Jexnell

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
. . . Did you expose yourself to measles, mumps, rubella, polio and the rest to get those diseases . . .
I didn’t answer this before, and I hope I’m not scratching open a big scab at this point.

But generally speaking, the answer is yes, as in the 50s there was no other choice, except for everyone to be a hermit.

I did have measles, the mumps, & chicken pox my sister had measles, chicken pox & scarlet fever.

Things were different. When I was a child in the 1950s, everybody got those diseases. These were called common childhood diseases, and you either survived or died. Some suffered more than others. We self quarantined if sick.

There was no such thing as a common flu shot. Maybe experimental things? People occasionally got the flu. Everybody got colds.

As school kids we got inoculated for diphtheria, polio and tetanus: the DPT vaccine. I’ve had a number of tetanus boosters in my life.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
My opinion for what its worth, on the constant vaccine debate on this thread is that its an aquarium forum. I seriously doubt anyone is listening to either S skjl47 or D dogofwar opinions and basing their vaccine decision on what a member of a fishkeeping forum has to say about it.

Here in Melbourne we have gone into our 5th lockdown, our state government usua;lly does a quick but hard lockdown as soon as some cases start popping up and it normally lasts a few weeks then we go back to relative freedom for a few months until the next inevitable outbreak. Im guessing once vaccination rates hit a certain level this will stop.
Up in sydney they are a few weeks into a very soft halfhearted lockdown and its not really working as cases keep rising. This is where things can take a political turn easily as its tempting to debate each governements approach and whats best for infection control or the economy etc.
I enjoy this thread but its pretty easy for it to go the wrong way when discussing something like this.

Reactions: deeda

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
My only objection to any of the discussion was the 2 or 3 sneaky insults.

I’m not offended if people have various opinions. Variety is more fun than homogeneity.

I was a bit sad to see my comment about censorship censored, but it was not too important.

Anyhow, People here, masked or not, seem to be social “distancing”, which is a good thing to me at all times. I hate being crowded or going to crowded places.

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
A few of us keep trying to point people to rigorous, non-partisan, science-based sources of info like the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
I know. I appreciate that. Was just giving my general impression and alarm reading through some of these posts a couple of days ago. I hadn’t waded into this thread for a while! ? ? The current rising rates across the country speak for themselves in any case.

Last edited:

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
97% of the current Covid cases in hospitals today are unvaccinated. 97%.

My employer (a major healthcare provider) just made Covid vaccinations mandatory for all employees effective immediately, and for this I applaud them.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
97% of the current Covid cases in hospitals today are unvaccinated. 97%. . . .
It was clearly 100%, before the vaccines were approved, so we're now down 3%, right?
OK, I'm twisting numbers, but I'm sure you get the point.
Is this frightening statistic truly meaningful?
Do the 3% of vaccinated inpatients represent a high failure rate for the vaccine?

. . . . I seriously doubt anyone is . . . basing their vaccine decision on what a member of a fishkeeping forum has to say about it. . . .
Amazingly you might be wrong. I am no more afraid to take the vaccine than to go without it. Without this thread, I probably would have just forgot about the whole idea. Now I am planning to go get jabbed next week.

I'm putting any possible reactions off until I finish fixing my truck.

• Haha
Reactions: jjohnwm

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
COVID-19 and health care workers

My husband was in a bad head-on accident nearly a year ago. Because of COVID-19, I could not be in the ER with my husband. I spent over 5 hours hoping and praying he was going to be alright. (Very fortunately, he was.)

Forty-five minutes into the New Year 2021 I found myself in the same ER needing wound closure for a ghastly hand injury. As I lay waiting for the doctor, I watched three unmasked nurses at the work station sitting there talking with each other. Yep, same hospital where an OB nurse infected a mother, father and newborn baby. The couple had isolated at home with people getting their groceries for them, then they go to the hospital and get infected. This kind of stuff affects a lot of people. Knowing this had happened, our son and his wife chose to go to a hospital 2 hrs away for the birth of their son.

Some health care workers take COVID seriously, and others don't. My FORMER chiropractor had signs in his waiting room against H1N1 vaccinations. He did not wear a mask and even questioned me because I had a mask on. Most of the people in the waiting room did not have masks on. I decided it was better to have back pain than to risk getting COVID-19. We now go to a chiropractor 2 hrs away who takes all precautions seriously.

It boggles the mind that health care workers can be so complacent and even militant about vaccinations and COVID-19. I have a sibling who is an RN who says he is not afraid of COVID and there are doctors with restricted medications who have not lost a single patient. He says that if he gets COVID-19, his doctor will get him medication, but the doctor has to be very careful because he is being "monitored" Sibling quit his job/retired last May, so at least he is not putting patients at risk. He is an anti-vaxxer who ferrets out every underground banned video that supports his position. If my sibling and former chiropractor are any indication, there's a whole slew of health care workers who don't believe COVID-19 is a threat, and in their work practices will probably act accordingly.

Very sad situation when we have to choose our health care providers based on if they believe COVID-19 is a threat or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store