How I got my white tip reef shark. A cautionary tale on who not to buy from

turbo253

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
new york
Zoodiver;4092027; said:
I for one am happy to see posts (good or bad) about people's transactions in regard to sharks/rays. So many scammers out there.

As for two pages ago (and my nitro thoughts)... baytril @ 10mg/kg will do the trick. Just something to help keep him clean. Sometime when I have more time, I'll PM you before and after pics of white tips to show you how they can recover.
Thanks zoodiver

Deano1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Morris, IL.
Scorponok;4090903; said:
I never said walked away, and there are legal channels to back out the deal, refund or otherwise. As far as getting his friend to PRETEND or not, if the scumbag is exposed, only a sucker would keep playing the game, calling the bluff, rolling the dice, going with the flow, however he puts it. Yes, I agree his example is how to avoid end up like him. This should be in the lessons learned section.

And yeah, every time a buyer gets ripped off we need to read a diary of what transpired, it's pretty much whining. The title suggests a story of adventure or journey but instead it turned out to be a bashing of his vendor, and one or two paragraph is already more than suffice in making a point, Dean is a scumbag. I don't see how the rest of information provided is useful unless you're planing to drag out your transaction for five months, like the OP.
Who are you? I have never even seen you in this forum or are you one of those just to jump in to sound off? We dont like guys that talk like you do to us!:screwy: I think he has done a good job warning the rest of us about this Dean. Its actually to bad he has such a cool name:D

turbo253

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
new york
Jabba954;4090427; said:
Even in huge public aquariums, 7-gills always look banged up. They have them at all the local aquariums (Monterey, Aquarium of the Bay, and Academy of Sciences), and every single 7-gill has rubbing issues.

How big is your shark pool turbo? I'd love to see pics of your lemon - I've always been a bit concerned about getting one because of their aggressive nature, but they're gorgeous when they're older.
Jabba,
The pool is 18' round and 4' deep. These pics of the lemon are kind of crappy. I will get out the real camera tomorrow and try to get better shots. I also have to get some better lighting for taking pics the shop lights just are not bright enough for taking pics. they make the water look murky and green to me.

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

Scorponok

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2005
cybertron in cyberspace
Deano1956;4092098; said:
Who are you? I have never even seen you in this forum or are you one of those just to jump in to sound off? We dont like guys that talk like you do to us!:screwy: I think he has done a good job warning the rest of us about this Dean. Its actually to bad he has such a cool name:D
And who are you? I don't believe you own this forum, and I don't see you in other forums. Yeah Yeah, Dean is a scumbag, yes we all know by now.

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
I'm just curious as to what are the sizes of the sharks in that pond.

Based on the figures Ii've seen so far - I would estimate that the pond is about 7,600 gallons.

The whitetip reef is a sub-adult, and the lemon looks to be a juvenile.

But so far the pond is looks to be vast improvement over the tank the Whitetip reef had been in.

turbo253

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
new york
The lemon is 25", The black tip is 22", the white tip is roughly 40" and 11 lbs. There is an 18" nurse living in the cave. and that grouper is about 24-26 inches. I figure this pool will last me a little while. I do have plans to build a much larger tank in the future. I am not sure what shape or size yet but it will be in the 40,000- 50,000 gal range. One thing is for sure though I never planed on putting such a large white tip in the pool I wanted to get a pup so he could grow with the rest of the sharks but this what I got and I am not complaining about it. I will just do my best to care for him.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ Best of luck with your new shark... and hopefully you'll be able to return the favor to said scumbag dean...

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Well - technically your Lemon and Nurse will likely be the fastest growers. Both tend to average about 9-12" per year in captivity, and are certain cases they are capable of growing more to 24" in a single year.

The Whitetip is actually nearing sexual maturity in size(about 3.5 ft), so it's growth will likely be slower than the rest.

And luckily you only have one shark that an ORV (Obligated Ram Ventilator) - that would be the Blacktip Reef (btw). So you have some time before the larger pond/lagoon is necessary. How long ultimately depends on their respective growth rates.

youngbuckfl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2009
ft myers fl
wow bro sry u had to deal with so much bs but u r a better man than me i would have flown over there and fed him to some sharks for that kinda money . great lookin sharks though . what r u gonna do with that lemon when she gets 8 to 10 ft long though? best of luck to u bro keep us posted on the progress.here is a pic of the lemon shark my wife caught last week we tag and released 8ft1in .

SANY0840.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store