How I take pictures of my fish

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
thanks, its a 57g. more pics in the link below, in my sig :)

SteveR

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Scotland
Awesome shots there, I appreciate you taking the time to share. TTL is the way to go outside then, phew I can stop messing about with manual outside whilst I got people waiting ha ha!

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
SteveR;4372411;4372411 said:
Awesome shots there, I appreciate you taking the time to share. TTL is the way to go outside then, phew I can stop messing about with manual outside whilst I got people waiting ha ha!
no problem. and not only outdoors, but indoors too. like i said, the only time i use manual flash is when shooting fish/aquariums. any other time its in TTL/TTL-BL. here, this was indoors TTL, bounced 90 degrees off a very tall ceiling

franchise513

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2008
Cincinnati
Awesome tank jose, you go all out whether you got pbass monsters or some tetras. I would love to setup a tank like that. What all is the stock list of the tank? And what type of plants areyou keeping?

SteveR

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Scotland
Is that your son? Nice shot of him!

Do you ever use the A mode or anything else on the speedlight? I have tried messing about with the TTL-FP just so I could go beyond 1/200 (you loose about a 3rd of the power) but sometimes need it to really stop fast moving objects. 1/200 just don't always cut it.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
SteveR;4372598;4372598 said:
Is that your son? Nice shot of him!

Do you ever use the A mode or anything else on the speedlight? I have tried messing about with the TTL-FP just so I could go beyond 1/200 (you loose about a 3rd of the power) but sometimes need it to really stop fast moving objects. 1/200 just don't always cut it.
thanks, no thats my nephew. no kids for me :)

i havent really tried any of the other modes. i dont know when i would need to, so i just stick with TTL. yeah FP mode is good, but you do lose a lot of power. it comes in nice when you want to get a narrow depth of field shooting a portrait in bright outdoors. like shooting at f/2.8 outdoors in bright light, youll need a fast shutter speed to compensate. thats when when FP mode comes in handy. since its bright light, you just need a little bit of fill flash, so the reduced power will be enough.

the SB-900 is nice because it shows you the effective range on the back in feet or meters as the flash power changes. just keep an eye on this and make sure youre within the specified range from your subject.

and for fast moving subjects, thats why its nice to have a fast lens, like a fixed f/2.8 aperture. if you 1/200th is too slow, increase the shutter speed and open up your aperture down f/2.8 to compensate. that way you make up for the loss in flash power. but with a slow lens (like f/3.5-5.6) you cant do this :)

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
franchise513;4372591;4372591 said:
Awesome tank jose, you go all out whether you got pbass monsters or some tetras. I would love to setup a tank like that. What all is the stock list of the tank? And what type of plants areyou keeping?
thanks! so far i have some german blue rams, roseline barbs/sharks, brilliant rasboras, rummynose tetras, and bueno aires tetras.

plants i currently have a bunch of anubias, java fern, blyxa japonica, staurogyne repens, ludwiga glandulosa, various pogostemon plants, and rotala indica.

jag123

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 16, 2008
Ohio
Beautiful pics! I have a sick infatuation with rummynose tetras - yours look stunning along with the barbs. I can't say that I have anywhere near the photog equipment you have, but I am certain you a have inspired something in me/many others.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
jag123;4372662;4372662 said:
Beautiful pics! I have a sick infatuation with rummynose tetras - yours look stunning along with the barbs. I can't say that I have anywhere near the photog equipment you have, but I am certain you a have inspired something in me/many others.
thanks for the kind words. rummynose tetras are definietly a cool fish :thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store