How long before Giant Gourami outgrows 150 gallon?

Revan

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Hello,

I plan on purchasing a Giant Gourami in the future. As of now I could keep him in a 150 gallon. In a couple years I would be able to provide a much bigger tank (300g+). The problem is I can't find any reliable information on how long it takes them to reach adult size. I.e outgrow the 150g.

Can anyone with Giant Gourami experience tell me, how long before one would outgrow a 150 gallon tank?

I appreciate any feedback you might have. Thank you!

Reactions: GamerChick5567

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Please don't take this the wrong way but I would wait until you have a tank big enough before purchasing, life has a way of delaying planned upgrades . Also research max size on these guys and compatibility issues with tank mates

Revan

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Please don't take this the wrong way but I would wait until you have a tank big enough before purchasing, life has a way of delaying planned upgrades . Also research max size on these guys and compatibility issues with tank mates
Totally a fair response celebrist. The well being of the fish is my top concern as well.

IF
I use the 150g to start, but later find that I cannot get him a bigger tank, I would sell or donate him to someone that could properly house him.

That being said, would you be willing to share your thoughts on when he might need a bigger tank?

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Two confessions here: I have never kept a giant gourami and with no secondary market to speak of here I always pick fish I can house for life in my current setup

Reactions: tlindsey

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Hello,

I plan on purchasing a Giant Gourami in the future. As of now I could keep him in a 150 gallon. In a couple years I would be able to provide a much bigger tank (300g+). The problem is I can't find any reliable information on how long it takes them to reach adult size. I.e outgrow the 150g.

Can anyone with Giant Gourami experience tell me, how long before one would outgrow a 150 gallon tank?

I appreciate any feedback you might have. Thank you!
If your 150G dimension is 60x24x24 inches then you can house it for 2 years, 3 years is cap limit and require a larger footprint tank after that.

Revan

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Two confessions here: I have never kept a giant gourami and with no secondary market to speak of here I always pick fish I can house for life in my current setup
Ahh understood. I'm fortunate enough to have a LFS that has bought and resold GG's for people moving, too small tanks, etc. Seeing an adult GG in their tank is actually what first made me want one. No matter what though, I'll proceed with the animal's best interests in mind.

Revan

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
If your 150G dimension is 60x24x24 inches then you can house it for 2 years, 3 years is cap limit and require a larger footprint tank after that.
Good point Yuki, I should've included the dimensions. It is actually 48x24x30.

Does this change your feedback?

Thank you.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Good point Yuki, I should've included the dimensions. It is actually 48x24x30.

Does this change your feedback?

Thank you.
Yes, because the height not important than length and wide. You current tank will be good like a year and half, you GG will get 12~14 inches in the first year at that size your tank already look too small for it.

Revan

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Yes, because the height not important than length and wide. You current tank will be good like a year and half, you GG will get 12~14 inches in the first year at that size your tank already look too small for it.
Hmm. That's too bad. But good to know. I may have to rethink my plans. Thank you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store