How many Cichlid in a 65 gallon tank (36"Lx25"Hx17"w)

Btugz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2017
Well, nitrites do become nitrates, but that isn't the issue. The nitrates are not high because you had a problem with nitrites.

The issue is that the tank is being allowed to accumulate nitrates at too fast a level. More fish will make it worse, not better. And as the fish you already have grow .. and they seem to have a lot of growing to do... they will produce nitrates at much higher levels. When a fish goes from 4 inches to 8 inches, it produces 8 times as much waste.

So, even if you change your practice and start doing more and larger water changes, you will find that you still can't keep up. High nitrates with small fish that are still growing is a warning sign that things are heading in a bad direction.
Thanks everyone for these helpful tips. I will look into a bigger tank. Im pretty sure the turtle is the main reason for the higher levels as she is super messy. fish all seem to be okay and are starting to grow( this is a new tank maybe 3 months old) Really appreciate all the great advice. I will update after a few water changes. Any suggestions on a larger tank? ( brands that are good) not a cheap investment for a large tank. Tanks again Drstrangelove Drstrangelove and cmsbthebest cmsbthebest you both have been helpful!

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
turtle is in an out of the water not to big of a deal.
hello; The metabolic waste byproducts from the turtle wind up in the tank.

watch my nitrates and get them a tad lower?
Hello; Sounds like more than a tad.

Bala's. they are tiny right now maybe 2-3" once they start growing i will be moving them.
Hello; If there is a place to move them why wait? Do you actually have the bigger tank(s) on hand right now or is this something to be had in the future.
Too many have gone this route and never get around to the "big" tank.

Maybe the plan should be get the big tank first before getting the fish that need a big tank??
i do at least 1/4 water changes at least once every 7 days (because of turtle)
Hello; As others have pointed out this is too weak. You may need to do 50 to 75% (or more) several times a week to get the nitrates down.

already have high nitrates that is an indicator that you already have too many fish or that you aren't doing enough water changes, but in most cases it means both.
Hello; This.

Reactions: magpie

Btugz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2017
hello; The metabolic waste byproducts from the turtle wind up in the tank.

Hello; Sounds like more than a tad.

Hello; If there is a place to move them why wait? Do you actually have the bigger tank(s) on hand right now or is this something to be had in the future.
Too many have gone this route and never get around to the "big" tank.

Maybe the plan should be get the big tank first before getting the fish that need a big tank??

Hello; As others have pointed out this is too weak. You may need to do 50 to 75% (or more) several times a week to get the nitrates down.

Hello; This.
S skjl47 I don't have the bigger tank as of now. I am looking into it. Yes i know the turtle waste gets into the tank. I will most likely do larger water changes from here on out. I have read that even with water changes nitrates may not come down? should I look into an additive? any recommendations on larger tanks? And I though 40PPM Nitrates is okay in freshwater? is this still to high? I'm in the 40-80ppm range.( hard for me to read the colors but its in that area.) Thanks again everyone!

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
If your tap water has no nitrates then water changes and appropriate stocking/feeding should take nitrates down. Start there.

Anything above 20 indicates that you're pushing your stock levels past your tank / water change limits.

I have a 65 gallon tank and would never recommend one to anyone. The 3-foot footprint is a big limiter for many fish. 65 is also just not a big tank. What size are you looking at?

Btugz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2017
If your tap water has no nitrates then water changes and appropriate stocking/feeding should take nitrates down. Start there.

Anything above 20 indicates that you're pushing your stock levels past your tank / water change limits.

I have a 65 gallon tank and would never recommend one to anyone. The 3-foot footprint is a big limiter for many fish. 65 is also just not a big tank. What size are you looking at?
I am looking at an aquarium of at least 200 but would love a 300 gallon. Big cost I know just not sure what manufacture to go with.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I have read that even with water changes nitrates may not come down?
Hello; Interesting. There have been a few threads where the source water (tap or well) had nitrates to start with. In such a case fresh water cannot dilute the tank nitrates because the source water already has nitrates. I suggest you test the source water.

should I look into an additive?
Hello; do a series of searches on this site. Many threads about nitrate reduction. Some recently I participated in. Live plants can help - look for pothos. Reduced feeding can help including fasting days. But WC (water changes) appear to be the gold standard for nitrate control.

And I though 40PPM Nitrates is okay in freshwater? is this still to high? I'm in the 40-80ppm range
Hello; Yes you are much too high. Above 20PPM is considered high. The goal is to get them to zero but because fish are constantly making waste and that nitrates accumulate that does not happen. Get them below 20PPM if possible.

This has been pointed out by others already and you appear to be ignoring it so I will write it again. You have too many of the wrong fish for the tank you have. You need to get rid of some fish or get the big tanks now. Lots of water changes needed now until you do one or the other.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
You may also want to clean your filters more often(in tank water)
Canisters, sponges etc can hold a lot of muck that is out of sight and contributing to high nitrates.
You also need to syphon vac your sand /gravel with each water change if you are not doing so already.
To be honest I would rehome all your fish until you get your bigger tank.I feel your turtle would be better in the 65 alone until you get a much bigger tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store