how many flower horn i can keep in 6 feet aquarium

nooklid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2008
Port huron, Michigan
kendrew;3146596; said:
ok....flowerhorns have the pitbull stigma around them..... i own 5 red dragons or ZZ's... a m/f pair live in one 75g central american cichlid community tank... i have never had a problem ... they even spawnd last week and were still fine in there... they are about 6-7" maybe 8" at the moment...they do fine...infact they get beat up by convicts when they are spawning there are also rainbow, severum, parrots, firemouths....all of these are smaller with the acception of the large male cons that are just about half inch smaller than the famales.... and the full grown parrots
in my second tank i have a large female, a large unknown sex/ type, and 2 juvies.... they live great with cons, jd, gt, tex, parrot, salvini,.....all of which are smaller!!!
never have they hurt any of the other fish or themselves....
what i would recomend is keeping them in a community tank form the day you get them!!! place them with hardy cichlids of the dame size(convicts work great) so they can get use to the company...even if you go buy cons for this one purpose it will benifit you in the end if you want an amazing tank with diversity!!!! and def allow for some hiding places!!!!
i think the issue people have is buying a flowerhorn that is use to being alone and cant adjust to the company of other fish, even if it is a female of the same speicies....

I agree with you 100% I also got them housed with other fish. I think some people are giving there thoughts on something they no nothing about. Just want to tell you what some body told them, i got black nasty's flowerhorns, and carpintis ten fish total and a 55 gallon and every one is ok and eating well.But people think you cant put four in a 125 i dont agree give it a try yourself and see what happen if all else fail remove some fish.

Vinnielp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Seattle, WA
kendrew;3146596; said:
ok....flowerhorns have the pitbull stigma around them..... i own 5 red dragons or ZZ's... a m/f pair live in one 75g central american cichlid community tank... i have never had a problem ... they even spawnd last week and were still fine in there... they are about 6-7" maybe 8" at the moment...they do fine...infact they get beat up by convicts when they are spawning there are also rainbow, severum, parrots, firemouths....all of these are smaller with the acception of the large male cons that are just about half inch smaller than the famales.... and the full grown parrots
in my second tank i have a large female, a large unknown sex/ type, and 2 juvies.... they live great with cons, jd, gt, tex, parrot, salvini,.....all of which are smaller!!!
never have they hurt any of the other fish or themselves....
what i would recomend is keeping them in a community tank form the day you get them!!! place them with hardy cichlids of the dame size(convicts work great) so they can get use to the company...even if you go buy cons for this one purpose it will benifit you in the end if you want an amazing tank with diversity!!!! and def allow for some hiding places!!!!
i think the issue people have is buying a flowerhorn that is use to being alone and cant adjust to the company of other fish, even if it is a female of the same speicies....
I wish I could agree with you and honestly I'm jealous. I think it really just depends on the particular flowerhorn. Some maybe semi aggressive, but most are cold blooded killers. I had my FH in a great community tank, all members were together since about 1.5". Everything was fine until my flowerhorn got to about 4". From that point on he began stocking and kicking the crap out of the other fish. Now the flowerhorn is on his own and the community tank is back to normal.

I'm gonna try again with other flowerhorns because there is the rare occasion that some one can pull off a flowerhorn community tank, and I want one bad. Most likely I'll see the same results and end up having to buy more tanks.

Vinnielp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Seattle, WA
waqar;3143929; said:
Hi dear
last night i buy 2 pair of flower horn about 2" please tell it will be good to keep 4 flower horn in one aquarium or they will fight? and also tell me best food available for flower horn :)

Regards
Waqar
Even though you'll probably have some aggression issues in 3 or 4 months I say go for it. Just be prepared to sell or move some fish. If you're planning on breeding you'll have to do that anyway. If it works out it will be awesome.

As far as food, use a good pellet high in protein, with spirulina and vitamin enriched. Also cocktail shrimp are awesome (cooked or raw). I feed chopped silver sides and whole earthworms. Any of the frozen prepared foods work great as well ( brine shrimp, blood worm, krill ). Flowerhorns eat anything just keep the diet healthy and varied and you'll see definite results.

CaliforniaShawn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2009
San Francisco
I would have to agree, I started a community tank with two flowerhorns, two tiger oscars, two freshwater lobsters and a huge "clean up guy". So far everyone is getting along great. Some times, there is a little aggression, but for the most part, things seem good. I think a trick is to keep them well fed, they are eating me out of house and home, but I like to keep them big and happy. I bought them all the same size and they are all growing the same size together. So far so good. I will let everyone know how mine continues to progress.

kendrew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2009
Fall River Ma.
nice!!! use a bright colored backround to help keep the fishes color up...they get depressed with dark backdrops.....something with plant pics of a solid color will work great...infact i use the fliers from the sunday paper on the side of one of my tanks for the extra color...
they are goin to do just fine!!! i would also put in some taller plants,rocks, statues...w/e u prefer this will give them territorial bounderies....
it is an awesome set up and the fish look great!!!

CaliforniaShawn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2009
San Francisco
Thanks for the help. I am going to introduce some new changes to the tank this week, a brighter backdrop for sure and some other things. A few weeks ago I just installed an EHEIM ECCO Canister filter and a UV Sterilizer to get the water straight when it was experiencing some algae. Since doing that, the water is beautiful with a perfect PH balance, around 7.5 and the temp maintaining at around 83 degrees. I do about three (good) feedings a day for these guys, combinations of the frozen foods, bloodworms, krill, and silver sides. I am hoping that everything continues on the right path. It is really nice to sit back and watch everything.

wiseman82

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2008
Houston Tx.
You should be fine with about 6 or 8 FH in a 75, once they hit about 10-12" they will be so overcrowded that agression should not be any issue at all.:ROFL:

fobrinkle

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2008
Michigan
You should add a pellet to their diet as a staple. I use Hikari Bio-Gold+. although there many other good ones out there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store