how many flower horn i can keep in 6 feet aquarium

sour_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2006
Toronto
My FH lives with a female convict.. He lets her live but beats her up all the time... Anything else I put in there ends up dead.. Its a 90 gallon.

You can try with them when they are small but be prepared to have to move them once they start to fight.

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
I'm with sour_girl. My FH lives in a 150 g tank with a 'runt of the batch' Texas only because the Texas is super fast, small and has tons of little hiding places. I've tried the FH with several other kinds of fish and I have to remove them within minutes or he'd kill them. 2 FH's together in any size tank at adulthood? I don't think so.

kendrew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2009
Fall River Ma.
i would say that you should add more than one fish with the FH... if he only has one thing in the tank to entrtain him ofcourse he is goint to constantly go after it.... get a few more texas or cons and add them.....
also here is a great trick i have learned....
i kno it isnt recomended but it does work wonders...
*****when u put in a new fish... add a dozen or so feeder guppies...this will distract the bigger fish for hours/days and give them a full belly while the new arrivals have time to get comfotable*****
:D
oh be sure to pre-medicate the feeders to minimize the chance of parasites....

CaliforniaShawn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2009
San Francisco
I am fully prepared to make the move with these guys if their aggression levels increase as they age. The male and female flowerhorns fight a little here and there but nothing major. Even just now as I checked them out, its dark and (nightime). All four are in the same corner together taking a nap, both oscars and FH's. I have been trying to feed these guys pellets but they don't seem to go for it, blood worms and silver sides, they wipe those out,,,fast! So far so good though...I also have a blue maroon, and tiger lobster in the tank. But since the creation of their habitat, all were very very small and are basically "growing up" together. If I pull this off, I will be happy, I will post some new pics soon, we are also getting ready to put a larger tank together...one that will hopefully cover the entire dining room wall. I hope!

nain

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2007
India
If you do manage to pull this off, it will be great.. Nothing is more beautiful than watching flowerhorns live with other fish, but yes it is a hard task to manage! Keep us updated and good luck :)

nooklid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2008
Port huron, Michigan
Here is a tank that has 5 or more flowerhorns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiQNPqAbfrg here is another http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k537RW_jt4o&feature=related So it is possible to keep more that one in a tank. Im not saying that every flowerhorn can be housed with other cichlid because i had some killers and my day, but i also have put some of the most aggresive cichlids in the same tank. with no deaths because i adjust my ranks in my tank. I do this by putting a cichlid that is much bigger in the tank but that is not overly aggressive but just likes to keep people in line. My freddy was the one i pick then i put the smaller dovii, jag, flowerhorn, black nasty, chipokea, and umbie in the tank. so this is whats work for me, choosing what fish i want to be number one and having him baby sit the others, thats the method that i have used many times. for this to work you have to know your aggression of you #1 fish.

terminalMTS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
marysville,WA
FH personalities vary greatly. i have a female that kills plecos and cichlids that are larger than she is. i have a male that lives with a female BP and just shows slight aggression. from what i have seen, FHs look the best when kept by themselves. they ge a color boost when you breed them, but for the most part, they look better alone. when keeping them in community tanks, they can kill your other fish with just the stress they cause from chasing the other fish around.
the FH that are kept together with other cichlids usually have chewed up fins and other wounds. any streamers that your fh grows will be eaten. it is possible to croud them, like africans, but you need to start with a tank of at least 180 gallons and you need to buy alot of fish to go in there together. you will need massive filtration and frequent water changes ( like twice weekly or more.) the dividers would be the easiest solution for now.
some of the examples given work because the fish in the tank haven't reach full size yet. once the large males feel that there is a threat to their breeding rights, there will be violence between males. females get very violent at breeding time too and can kill your males.
having said all this, have been doing this long enough to know that some people can get away with this and some people lose all their fish trying to copy the results. if you decide to keep alot of FH in the same tank, be ready with more tanks to evacuate the victims. it could work great for a while and change overnight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store