How many FW stingrays for my 180 gallon aquarium?

How Many freshwater Stingrays in a 180 gallon Aqarium W. 40 gallon Sump?

• Total voters

Pumanator

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2020
Hi, This is my first post on this website.

I was wondering, how many freshwater stingrays I could house in my aquarium. My setup consists of a 180 gallon display tank, that is 4'x4'x18" (LxWxH). As well as a 40 gallon sump, with a freshwater plant refugium. Tank is bare bottomed and cleaned once a week, and consistently shows nitrates under 10ppm.

I am considering adding some more rays to my tank, and was wondering how many would do well in my aquarium. Right now debating between adding 2 more Pearl stingrays, or 2 black diamonds. Pearl stingrays generally stay under 18" in diameter, and based on my experience with this guy, id be surprised if they go above 14". Black Diamonds I know can get quite a bit larger, but usually staying around 24" in an aquarium setting.

My question is, do you think my tank could comfortably house 3 stingrays, and if so would the black diamonds outgrow it, or the pearls be a better option?

Current Aquarium stocking:

1x Pearl Stingray Male (roughly 8")
2x South American Cicclids (5" each, yes they do get along super well with my stingray as they have been housed together for years)
1x Green phantom Pleco (roughly 2", also has given me no issue with my stingray)
1x Apple Snail

Thank you for reading my post, I look forward to the responses :)

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
4x4 or 6x2 your tanks are too small. Even the smallest rays get 2' and moving from left to right isnt really enough room for them to survive let alone thrive. They also require pristine water and a tank that smalls parameters can still swing somewhat and could kill the rays.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Im a little confused by your response. 6ft x 2 ft x 2ft is a total surface area of 12 square feet. My tank is 4 ft x 4 ft x 1.5 ft, thus has 16 square feet of surface area, making up for the half foot lost to height, making it also 180 gallons or exactly 179.5 gallons... That being said I appreciate your fast reply.
Sorry, I deleted my post when I realised i'd misread the tank dimensions in your post. Yours is indeed a 180g tank, but although the footprint of your tank is better than a standard 180g (6×2×2), it may still be a little cramped for three rays.

I apologise for any confusion.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi, This is my first post on this website.

I was wondering, how many freshwater stingrays I could house in my aquarium. My setup consists of a 180 gallon display tank, that is 4'x4'x18" (LxWxH). As well as a 40 gallon sump, with a freshwater plant refugium. Tank is bare bottomed and cleaned once a week, and consistently shows nitrates under 10ppm.

I am considering adding some more rays to my tank, and was wondering how many would do well in my aquarium. Right now debating between adding 2 more Pearl stingrays, or 2 black diamonds. Pearl stingrays generally stay under 18" in diameter, and based on my experience with this guy, id be surprised if they go above 14". Black Diamonds I know can get quite a bit larger, but usually staying around 24" in an aquarium setting.

My question is, do you think my tank could comfortably house 3 stingrays, and if so would the black diamonds outgrow it, or the pearls be a better option?

Current Aquarium stocking:

1x Pearl Stingray Male (roughly 8")
2x South American Cicclids (5" each, yes they do get along super well with my stingray as they have been housed together for years)
1x Green phantom Pleco (roughly 2", also has given me no issue with my stingray)
1x Apple Snail

Thank you for reading my post, I look forward to the responses :)
Welcome aboard

Pumanator

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2020
Maybe ok for now when rays are small, but long term both Pearl and BD will be too big.
A trio of Scobina would work.
Scobina have a max disc size around 18" according to google. Pearl have also a max disc size of 18" according to Google? Wouldn't that mean if the scobinas would be okay, so would the pearls? Thank you for replying btw

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
Scobina have a max disc size around 18" according to google. Pearl have also a max disc size of 18" according to Google? Wouldn't that mean if the scobinas would be okay, so would the pearls? Thank you for replying btw
Scobina don't have a disc size of 18¨, not even close tbh. The biggest they (pretty much) get is ~14¨ for a female. And Pearls get bigger than 18¨, 22¨ easily for a female.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store