How many Koi can i put in my tank ?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Yeah about 790 gal.

But it's not expensive jumbo size koi. Will it(decent grade butterfly koi) be that bulky? How long does it take for Koi to get 35"

2 kois maybe isn't enough mess for those discus to lay eggs. And sometimes one Koi will just lay there for discus Juv to clean his body.
View attachment 1374742
The Barb did disturb them more so I already take them out.
Even pond grade koi get big if cared for properly.
My mutty girl was 21” and 4yrs old when she passed this last winter. And she was stunted for sure from me not having an appropriate size pond from the start.
69D90B48-0AB3-49A3-8E0E-4AFC886A63A9.jpeg
She as very bulky and heavy. Had to be over 5lbs she was heavy to net out.
Butterfly koi get just as big too.
This boy was under 2yrs old and 16”
0BEBC1A4-4A21-4541-9E86-C5034CE1AD9A.jpeg

AquaDERP

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
Even stunted get that big. :eek:

Maybe I should take one out than put in more

Thx for your helpful information, the second guy look really awesome. What color or type is that called?

Koi pond (1side glass) maybe my next thing after 12T because your koi look so gorgeous

16" koi is 2y/o? What if stunted? One of mine is stunted 16", does he hurry for a new tank or pond?

Last edited:

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Even stunted get that big. :eek:

Maybe I should take one out than put in more

Thx for your helpful information, the second guy look really awesome. What color or type is that called?

Koi pond (1side glass) maybe my next thing after 12T because your koi look so gorgeous

16" koi is 2y/o? What if stunted? One of mine is stunted 16", does he hurry for a new tank or pond?
He was a blue shusui butterfly. One of my favorites. He looked like a dragon.

AquaDERP

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
Even if its a big tank i would never put koi in an tank. They belong in ponds IMO.
I never interested in Koi

I read about butterfly koi before I change my mind.

Somewhere said Butterfly Koi meant for glass tank, it's not pond koi

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I never interested in Koi

I read about butterfly koi before I change my mind.

Somewhere said Butterfly Koi meant for glass tank, it's not pond koi
A butterfly koi is just a koi with veils on its fins.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I agree with Tobiassorensen Tobiassorensen . Butterflies are just regular koi with long fins. And they are just a suited for ponds and regular koi.
I’ve kept koi in tanks over winter and for growing fry. It really isn’t preferable. Since they can be spooked easily you can’t keep any rock or decorations in the tank. My one butterfly I kept in over winter Always had splits in her fins. Once outside she was perfectly fine.

I’d encourage you to setup a pond. They are so beautiful and enjoyable. Handfeeding them was always the best part of my day. Keeping tanks is relaxing, but ponds are 10 times more enjoyable imo.

And shusui is the doitsu version of the Asagi. They have that “zipper” line going down their back.

That big girl of mine was a pond grade doitsu. I cannot tell you how often she had cuts or gouges from hitting what few rocks I had at the top rim of the pond.

Reactions: AquaDERP

AquaDERP

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
I agree with Tobiassorensen Tobiassorensen . Butterflies are just regular koi with long fins. And they are just a suited for ponds and regular koi.
I’ve kept koi in tanks over winter and for growing fry. It really isn’t preferable. Since they can be spooked easily you can’t keep any rock or decorations in the tank. My one butterfly I kept in over winter Always had splits in her fins. Once outside she was perfectly fine.

I’d encourage you to setup a pond. They are so beautiful and enjoyable. Handfeeding them was always the best part of my day. Keeping tanks is relaxing, but ponds are 10 times more enjoyable imo.

And shusui is the doitsu version of the Asagi. They have that “zipper” line going down their back.

That big girl of mine was a pond grade doitsu. I cannot tell you how often she had cuts or gouges from hitting what few rocks I had at the top rim of the pond.
I thought it's some mix-breed or mutant, so it isn't then ?

And how can you enjoy those big silky fan tail from top view except the pond has one side glass.

Goldfish spawning on the edge of a pond, and koi (including a butterfly) gobbling up the eggs, as soon as they are dropped. So you think they won't bother your discus?
GOPR6064
If I see discus paired I'll have take them breeding tank anyway.

But I really don't know koi, I tried 2 of them cheap grade and they seem to be the most happy specie in my tank now. So I ask in the topic if I could add more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store