How much do 4 x 8 sheets of 1/2" cast acrylic sheets cost?

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
id go for the widest tank you could build. I wish I had gone wider than 24" . that's a score for the acrylic!

I like the idea of wider.... I am not sure about taller though. 24" deep is a lot easier to maintain than 30" deep. Does anyone else prefer 24" deep to 30" deep after having owned a 30" deep tank?

The 180g I am building the stand for already has holes drilled on the bottom that I was planning on using for the return after making a loop above water level for a siphon break. Since the 180 will eventually be replaced I am thinking of scraping the bottom return idea. Or maybe I should give the bottom returns a try as a test to see how well they work out for me.... hmmm....

How are returns done on most large tanks? My current 35g hex has an over the side return that outlets to the bottom and has a siphon break hole where it goes over the top of the tank. I like the water movement this configuration gives. Remember, my tank is going to be in a peninsula configuration with the over flow on a 24" tank side, not the 72" tank side.

P.S. the Acrylic was special ordered for a customer and the lumber yard ordered 8' sheets instead of 9' sheets like the customer specified. That is why they were trying to get rid of the acrylic.

Last edited:
Reactions: fishhead0103666

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
I have a 30" tall tank and 2 24" tall tanks, definitely easier with the 24" height. on my 240 I drilled it for a 1.5" bean animal style overflow with an internal skimmer box. on tanks this size i'd highly recommend a sump. also look at the Weldon 40 thread in the diy section. I would do the tip and pour method after the tank is all glued together and cured. i'm in the Portland area too!

Reactions: Oughtsix and deeda

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
Got a link?

Looking now ?
just looked up the purchase. Price was from 2017. The seller on eBay was "plastic-experts", price was $736. Good luck man. ?

Just looked at items they have for sale, and it said none. Hope I didn't accidentally get your hopes up. I would try to message them. Hope they didn't go out of business.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Just looked at items they have for sale, and it said none. Hope I didn't accidentally get your hopes up. I would try to message them. Hope they didn't go out of business.

It’s all good,

From what I’ve found so far it doesn’t save much money buying and building vs purchasing new.

Would like to get a sheet and try...

Thanks for info!

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
From what I’ve found so far it doesn’t save much money buying and building vs purchasing new.
I beg to differ. The labor is usually roughy 50%. If an acrylic 480 gal costs $5000, roughy $2500 is the labor. If you scavenge the materials off CL or Letgo etc. you may get it for $1000 plus your labor, sweat and tears.

The cheapest 480 gal professionally built here in FL, e.g., Orlando, can be found for $2500 still with 3/4" acrylic. Can talk to Mario from Orlando.

Reactions: TheWolfman

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
I beg to differ. The labor is usually roughy 50%. If an acrylic 480 gal costs $5000, roughy $2500 is the labor. If you scavenge the materials off CL or Letgo etc. you may get it for $1000 plus your labor, sweat and tears.
The cheapest 480 gal professionally built here in FL, e.g., Orlando, can be found for $2500 still with 3/4" acrylic. Can talk to Mario from Orlando.
$2500?

Fish tanks direct wants $3200. That’s a bit cheaper...

I’ll have to look on CL for materials! Thanks for info!

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store