Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
when i bought guppies they appear to be agitated from water current and air stones unlike my tetras which are playful in the same conditions
Most Tetras are adapted for fast rivers, I’d assume guppies aren’t from as high flow a region.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
maybe i could try keeping them again
are mollies and swordtails similar?
Most come from similar regions. Both would do better in 20+ gallons though. Mollies are actually a brackish fish, and while they do well in freshwater, thrive with some salt, and are frequently kept in reef tanks. Swordtails are very similar to larger, meaner platies. Bigger fish would likely be less affected by the current created in the tank, so what throws a guppy around is not as strong on a fish 3 times its size.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
That is fine.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Just be clear on one thing: regardless of whether you get more or fewer to start with, your tank will still be overpopulated within only a few months unless you have plans to remove the bulk of the fry. If the tank is completely barren...no plants or other cover...many fry will be eaten but some will always survive, grow and eventually add to the population problem. Guppies aren't particularly effective at predating on their own young.

So, if you want to breed them, the question isn't how many fish to get...it's how many tanks to get.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store