How much personality does an Arowana have?

pokebird

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2019
Hello, recently I'm interested in fishes that have a lot of personalities and interact often with the owners. I found out that owners of fishes such as the Dovii Cichlid and Mbu Puffer say they feel like their fishes behave like puppies, which I find awesome. Do Arowanas display such behavior and form a connection with the owner, or do they just mind their own business?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Hello, recently I'm interested in fishes that have a lot of personalities and interact often with the owners. I found out that owners of fishes such as the Dovii Cichlid and Mbu Puffer say they feel like their fishes behave like puppies, which I find awesome. Do Arowanas display such behavior and form a connection with the owner, or do they just mind their own business?
Arowana are a......."strange" fish. Some bond but not quite in the way a mbu or say a flowerhorn or Oscar do. Not saying some dont act like those there may be some that do. The majority of videos ive seen id have to say no. I have never owned one though so do not know for sure. Id say fish that will or usually will are more aggressive like cichlids. My betta is super cool and is happy to see me wiggling all over the place, he dances with my finger in the water chasing it and allowing me to chase him. So if thats a puppy id say its a tea cup terrier....lol. My Schoutedeni puffer will get excited to see me too, and plays with a ping pong ball but if my hand is in the tank it's as far as possible from me.

pokebird

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2019
Arowana are a......."strange" fish. Some bond but not quite in the way a mbu or say a flowerhorn or Oscar do. Not saying some dont act like those there may be some that do. The majority of videos ive seen id have to say no. I have never owned one though so do not know for sure. Id say fish that will or usually will are more aggressive like cichlids. My betta is super cool and is happy to see me wiggling all over the place, he dances with my finger in the water chasing it and allowing me to chase him. So if thats a puppy id say its a tea cup terrier....lol. My Schoutedeni puffer will get excited to see me too, and plays with a ping pong ball but if my hand is in the tank it's as far as possible from me.
Thank you for your reply, glad to know that you are having a great time with your betta :) reading your reply made me think that I should maybe just post in general discussion and ask what fishes have the best personalities there

tigerbob

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2019
Liuyuxi the poet from Tang dynasty once said,"
Though the water may not be deep, the presence of Arowana gives it divinity."
This line is often seen with beautiful calligraphy on the printed tank backgrounds here in China.:nilly:

Arowana likes to cruise the tank while watching you with one eye. You can clearly see it roll its eye and observe you with certain interest. However, they rarely have the friendliness of puppies.

pokebird

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2019
This line is often seen with beautiful calligraphy on the printed tank backgrounds here in China.:nilly:

Arowana likes to cruise the tank while watching you with one eye. You can clearly see it roll its eye and observe you with certain interest. However, they rarely have the friendliness of puppies.
Ah Liuyuxi, one of my favorite Chinese poets, didn't know he liked fish keeping too lol! Since you mentioned the eye interaction, it makes more sense to me now why people some them as divine beings, thank you for letting me know as it is hard to tell what they are seeing with their eyes from videos posted online

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
My silver is curious. It'll come close to my hands if i'm cleaning or working on something in the tank and sometimes would brush against my hand. Once it bit and tugged on my electric gravel vacuum. But that's about it. No real interaction like I saw with flowerhorns

Reactions: pokebird

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
This line is often seen with beautiful calligraphy on the printed tank backgrounds
Do you have an image of the quote in calligraphy?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
This line is often seen with beautiful calligraphy on the printed tank backgrounds here in China.
No but I can make one for you of my own little poem:
"Though the water may not be deep, the presence of Arowana makes it steep, soon you may find yourself living on the cheap."

tigerbob

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2019
Screenshot from 2019-12-17 10-06-06.png
Backgrounds like this. Calligraphy background looks good but they are very common. They to monster fish tank is like sponge bob decoration to tropical community tank.

edit:
FYI the line in Chinese is "有龙则灵" if you want to print one yourself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store