How much would you pay for a used tank?

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
Where I live people as for rediculous prices on used tanks. I recently picked up a 135 gallon tank (1/2" glass) that was broken for $120. It was cheaper for me to buy glass that way then for me me to buy a new glass from a glass shop.

I tend to travel for my aquariums. I would never buy local unless I fnd a good deal, But most people want over $2 a gallon used around here.

Biggreenavalanche

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2013
NW Louisiana
After about a month of Craigslist browsing I picked up an Oceanic 125 for $125.00, thought it was a good deal...around here new 125 is approaching $500.00...incidentally this tank will be set up as a north American river tank with a river manifold double sponge filter and a 30 gal sump will post after the project is done...

Propofol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2010
Olympia, WA
Not to derail the main topic, but who is making Oceanic quality tanks these days? I was going to buya tank from tenrecor by I did not like their attitude. So they lost a sale

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

GVerde

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
Chicago
Three years ago I got back in the hobby. I was looking at a 125G at Petemart for close to $300. I looked at craigslist and found a girl selling a 220G gallon for $500. I went to her place to pick it up. It was a 2 year old tank with stand, lights, glass tops, a Rena XP3, gravel, rocks, and 2 midas included. Her boyfriend bought it for them but I guess they were breaking up and she must have kept it. She lowered the price to $450. It was a deal of a lifetime. I guess you just got to be patient.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
New 100 gal+ tanks around here, are $350+, used are up and down.
I picked up a 120 gal for $100 with a small stress crack, and in transit I added another small stress crack, cost me about $50 for 4 panes of glass and a tube of silicone, to fix both cracks by sandwiching the 2 areas between the new glass.
Hardest part was removing the old silicone with a razor blade, other than that it was easy.

Totalimmortal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Westminster, CO
People in CO, at times, seem to be crazy with their prices. Thousands of dollars for a used 180, I even saw a bow front SW setup that was priced at $5000!!!! I actually emailed the guy just to tell him how insane he was.

letstalkfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2013
Nomad
I would say the average 29g on craigslist around here is priced at $110, see a lot of 75s that people think they can get close to 1000 for, never seen a tank bigger than 55 go for even close to $1/gal on my local CL. I often reply to ads to let people know that brand new 125s go for $500-600 around here. It is truly nuts.

TinfoilBala

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2013
california
I go on Craigslist about every other day looking for tanks and it all depends sometimes I see a 29 gallon on there for $500 and the next day I see a fully stocked fish included hundred twenty five gallon for $120 so it's a gamble never settle and keep looking til you found exactly what u want

Sent from my SCH-R720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store