How often and what do you feed your bichir ?

AmaroSwe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2008
Sweden
U can also try 2 stick pellets in 2 the fish then feed ur bichir

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Five to six times a week. Pellets, bloodworms and any krill they can manage to snatch.

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Bichirs are easy to feed. They're not finnicky eaters. Starve for a few days then try tilapia, bloodworms, shrimp pellets, silversides or anything else that sinks. Mines eat all of those.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
phillydog1958;4225052; said:
Bichirs are easy to feed. They're not finnicky eaters. Starve for a few days then try tilapia, bloodworms, shrimp pellets, silversides or anything else that sinks. Mines eat all of those.
I agree.

McFall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2010
Youngstown, Ohio
mine loves shrimp..i need to get some sinking pellets just cant find a dang store that has them

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Darth Scohin;4220614; said:
Once a day at night and Massivore, Tilapia, Silversides or Krill and one day without feeding....But when young try to feed more often twice a day...just starve him for a few days then feed only massivore or another food item it'll get the idea
Pretty much the same as Darth. Some beef heart and prawns added in.

I just have found that my poly's eat so much more if fed at night and thus give me better growth.

Noa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2010
Michigan
I feed mine Beefheart Plus, carnivore pellets and frozen bloodworms as a staple an then vary his diet between earthworms, market shrimp, ghost shrimp, and once in a great while I'll throw some rosies in the tank if I'm going to be gone for a weekend. But he's also a hog and will steal crickets and tubifex worm cubes from my African butterfly fish and African knife fish. I actually have to distract him at times so they can get some food.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
Twice a day with a wide variety of cut meat chunks. I have used:
Mussles
Clams
Squid
Scallop
Gulf Shrimp
Freshwater Prawn
Krill
"white fish" fillet: Trouts, Bass, Tilapia, Butterfish, Spot, Haddock, Pollack etc...

I avoid the oilier fishes as to keep the tank as clean as possible! The Spot and Butterfish are awsome favorites, but be certain NOT to leave uneaten chunks of these fish in the tank for over a half hour or -it- hits the fan!

I have actually seen an all tank, all species boycot of a fish called "swai". It looks a little like a catfish but the fish must think it sucks!

ChilliPepper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
UK
My Del gets fed every day, same as my cichlids. They get a mix of Hikari Cichlid Gold, Hikari Cichlid Staple, Hikari Carnivore, Ocean Nutrition Spirulina Wafers, Hikari Algae Wafers plus frozen cichlid mix (bloodworm, daphnia etc) and frozen mussell once or twice a week. He has a bit of everything, doesn't seem too fussy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store