How often to feed bass

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Quick question for a buddy who has a 5 year old peacock bass...he feeds everyday but I’m suggesting he feed less often as it’s already huge and has stopped putting on size.

His tank is constantly dirty and overgrown with algae. What’s the consensus...everyday, every other day, or less?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I would do every other day maybe evn less depending on what and how much he feeds
I'd agree to an extent. Like many predators, pbass usually don't feed all that often in the wild unless starving. It's not too uncommon for a wild predator fish to feed only once a week if not only once every other week. In the wild they can go over an entire month sometimes without eating so in captivity we need to take this all into consideration. I would honestly only feed it every 3-4days of not only once a week, especially if it's already fully grown. It helps keep down on waste and establishes a more natural feeding period rather then basically letting a morbidly obese guy destroy an entire all you can eat buffet every day.

Honestly if OP's friend keeps feeding it the way they are, it will eventually die of fatty liver disease.

Btw OP what is your friend feeding the Pbass everyday?

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Not peacock bass related exactly but certainly "full grown" related. My giant gourami used to eat like a pig six times a week, which is what my feeding regime was. But once he maxed out in size his appetite plateaued and then fell off dramatically. He tells me when he's hungry now by coming to the glass and shaking his head. Feeding him only once a week is not uncommon now, though I will say when he does eat he can shovel some away.

I 've heard it a lot, and obviously my own experience too, that fish just don't require the same amount of food once they max out. And on a plus side less feeding means less bio load.

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
If your friends bass arent full grown adults I highly recommend 6 days a week 4-6 small meals a day if your filtration can handle it. If not at least once a day 6 days a week. Thatll ensure nice plump bass like this guy

7-31 1-3.jpg

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I'd agree to an extent. Like many predators, pbass usually don't feed all that often in the wild unless starving. It's not too uncommon for a wild predator fish to feed only once a week if not only once every other week. In the wild they can go over an entire month sometimes without eating so in captivity we need to take this all into consideration. I would honestly only feed it every 3-4days of not only once a week, especially if it's already fully grown. It helps keep down on waste and establishes a more natural feeding period rather then basically letting a morbidly obese guy destroy an entire all you can eat buffet every day.

Honestly if OP's friend keeps feeding it the way they are, it will eventually die of fatty liver disease.

Btw OP what is your friend feeding the Pbass everyday?
Thanks for all the responses. It makes a lot of sense that as predators, they don’t eat all that often in the wild. My friend’s bass is definitely full grown as it has stopped putting on any size in the last year or so. It is plump though and surprisingly, is still only being fed Massivore and some live feeders once in a while. My friend and his bass are pretty set on this diet and won’t really switch. I’ll let him know to check out the thread. I’m sure he’ll appreciate the feedback as he was getting concerned about the feeding schedule

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018

Here is a study I conducted regarding feeding types and why pellets are so ideal. Check it out.

Just want to point out as well that just because they dont eat as often in the wild doesnt necessarily mean thats best. Primitive humans might not have eaten every day but it is concluded that eating 3 times a day is ideal for us. Also, wild fish eaten by bass would be much more nutrient dense than feeders bought from the local fish store.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal

Here is a study I conducted regarding feeding types and why pellets are so ideal. Check it out.

Just want to point out as well that just because they dont eat as often in the wild doesnt necessarily mean thats best. Primitive humans might not have eaten every day but it is concluded that eating 3 times a day is ideal for us. Also, wild fish eaten by bass would be much more nutrient dense than feeders bought from the local fish store.
I’ll definitely have him look over the study and will look into it myself as well. As to your prior statement about feeding 6 times a week...well, his filtration can’t handle it and the tank is getting dirty quick. That’s why I was suggesting he feed less. His bass are full grown. So far, I’m thinking a couple times a week would be okay based in everyone’s response. What do you suggest?

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
I’ll definitely have him look over the study and will look into it myself as well. As to your prior statement about feeding 6 times a week...well, his filtration can’t handle it and the tank is getting dirty quick. That’s why I was suggesting he feed less. His bass are full grown. So far, I’m thinking a couple times a week would be okay based in everyone’s response. What do you suggest?
Honestly, and this is in no way meant to come off as harsh or rude, if his system is that touchy I'd put the effort into thinning stock or buffing the filtration. If he needs any help or has questions I would be more than happy to assist because I know how incredibly messy bass can be. Since I've been keeping bass I've toyed around with lots of different feedings to see what gives the best results for the effort.
You can get away with 4 meals a week but if you want your fish to look their best I'd say 6 times a week. But that is purely up to your friend. Personally, I feed 5-6 times a day, 6 days a week with smaller meals to give a consistent source of food that doesn't make a sudden rise in pollutants. While that method seems to improve growth while keeping the water quality more consistent, it produces much higher nitrates in the long run so water changes must occur very frequently. But I do that as a way to achieve trophy specimens. In my opinion the beefed up filtration and extra effort in water changes is worth it but I am a bit more "fanatical" about my bass husbandry than the average keeper.

Reactions: phreeflow

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Appreciate the info and for offering to help. I’ll have him look over the responses and come to his own conclusions. Thx

Reactions: Blakewater
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store