How the move baby angelfish fry

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Hi,
Currently I have a pair of angelfish that are taking care of 100 fry. It’s their first day freeswimming. Recently my datnoid got injured so I removed it into a quarantine setup. The datnoid is now healed and I would like to add it back to the display tank tank. Obv it would eat the fry, so I want to move the fry to a different tank. I have 3 options: move them with the parents into a 30 gallon tank or move the fry separately into my current 10 gallon angelfish fry grow out which houses some 4 week old babies or give them a separate 5 gallon until they get larger to go with the other fry. I want to know what’s the best option for keeping these fry alive. Other suggestions are welcomed. Also, at that young age of free swimming, can u net then and keep them alive or should I use another method? I’m currently feeding hikari first bites and getting 40-50 percent survivability which I’m okay with. Thanks again!

39C0961E-3815-4B92-B92C-6CEF51521959.jpeg

8A1D7875-F929-4D6D-9735-4956AC1AD02D.jpeg

EC161DAB-779E-4C60-AA34-778D79031CC9.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi,
Currently I have a pair of angelfish that are taking care of 100 fry. It’s their first day freeswimming. Recently my datnoid got injured so I removed it into a quarantine setup. The datnoid is now healed and I would like to add it back to the display tank tank. Obv it would eat the fry, so I want to move the fry to a different tank. I have 3 options: move them with the parents into a 30 gallon tank or move the fry separately into my current 10 gallon angelfish fry grow out which houses some 4 week old babies or give them a separate 5 gallon until they get larger to go with the other fry. I want to know what’s the best option for keeping these fry alive. Other suggestions are welcomed. Also, at that young age of free swimming, can u net then and keep them alive or should I use another method? I’m currently feeding hikari first bites and getting 40-50 percent survivability which I’m okay with. Thanks again!

View attachment 1461767

View attachment 1461768

View attachment 1461769
You can remove them with a 1/2 or 5/8 in hose. I would fill bucket with some water first so fry won't hit the bucket also kink hose slightly to reduce speed while fry are being sucked in with the hose. A large Brine Shrimp net could be another option.

Reactions: Rayfishowner

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
You can remove them with a 1/2 or 5/8 in hose. I would fill bucket with some water first so fry won't hit the bucket also kink hose slightly to reduce speed while fry are being sucked in with the hose. A large Brine Shrimp net could be another option.
that’s a good idea. If I remove the fry and reintroduce them to the parents in the main tank will they eat them? Should I just keep them alone then?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; That you got lucky enough to have a pair of parents which do not eat the eggs or the fry, puts you ahead. Several of us were never so lucky. My suggestion is to leave well enough alone. Wait a few weeks at any rate. There will be trauma with which ever method you use to move them. Also not sure how the parents will react. Guess it boils down to what is important to you.

A five or ten gallon grow out tank will not be enough for very long if a number of the fry survive.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Hello; That you got lucky enough to have a pair of parents which do not eat the eggs or the fry, puts you ahead. Several of us were never so lucky. My suggestion is to leave well enough alone. Wait a few weeks at any rate. There will be trauma with which ever method you use to move them. Also not sure how the parents will react. Guess it boils down to what is important to you.

A five or ten gallon grow out tank will not be enough for very long if a number of the fry survive.
Okay i guess I’ll be patient lol. The datnoid is def in a tank too small 30 gallon, but I’ll wait a few weeks before moving them. This pair has bred for me 7 times and is at least 3 years or so old so definitely got lucky, but they also have the experience. Thanks for the reply and I’ll keep this updated!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store