how to catch pleco?

Connor0729

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ontario, Canada
ok, my blood parrots just layed eggs, and even though they probably won't hatch, i want to give it a try. the problem is, i got this 4 inch common pleco that is very fast, and i was just wondering if there is any trick to catching these little beggars. please respond by nightfall, as i hear that plecs will eat the eggs while the parents sleep. thanks.

pophead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2006
edmonton, AB. Canada
you could:
just use a net, trap the fish against the glass and pull it out of the water.
use a bucket/net, chase the fish into the bucket and take out.
pick it up with your hands. although I've never done it... :D

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
net it against the glass then get you hands wet.
it's the only way.........
good luck with the baby p's

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Personally I am against the use of nets for these fish at all. They often will get stuck, and will either cost the net, or the fish. This is a VERY stressful method, and is not recommended. I personally just reach in and direct them to a corner. Then (dependent on the size of the pleco) I will either use my other hand to come in from the front, or just move to the head. The goal is to get in front of the pleco in a place where they cannot turn around fast. Put light pressure on the head, and slide it up to the top of the tank. I then slide one finger under the body of the fish, and slowly slide toward the head. This will gently coax the fish to release his grip. Just like that, and the pleco is out, faster than with a net, and has been out of the water for a minimal amount of time.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
WyldFya;703109; said:
Personally I am against the use of nets for these fish at all. They often will get stuck, and will either cost the net, or the fish. This is a VERY stressful method, and is not recommended. I personally just reach in and direct them to a corner. Then (dependent on the size of the pleco) I will either use my other hand to come in from the front, or just move to the head. The goal is to get in front of the pleco in a place where they cannot turn around fast. Put light pressure on the head, and slide it up to the top of the tank. I then slide one finger under the body of the fish, and slowly slide toward the head. This will gently coax the fish to release his grip. Just like that, and the pleco is out, faster than with a net, and has been out of the water for a minimal amount of time.
i grab them by hand too

funny whe nyou pull em out of the water they go stiff with a "wtf?" look :ROFL:

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
DeLgAdO;703144;703144 said:
i grab them by hand too

funny whe nyou pull em out of the water they go stiff with a "wtf?" look :ROFL:
Depends on the pleco. A few of my plecos have more of a 'put me down or I'll whoop your butt' look. :D

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
I do notice with plecos, there is minimal thrashing to get away as soon as they are out the water, in comparison to most other fish.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I grab them by hand too.

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
i just net them, plecos move to much to be picked up by hand. and i can't reach them in my 400. i usually pin them with the net, drag them up the side, then reach in with my hand and hold on to them by hand with them still in the net.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store