how to feed my gar

troutman54

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Michigan
I have a longnose gar(named jerry) and 2 oscars, I feed the oscars a large variety of food but try to stay away from feeder fish but the only thing jerry eats is live feeders. when I put a feeder in the tank for him the oscars will try to eat them if jerry doesnt get to it quick enough are there any suggestions you guys have on feeding my gar so my oscars wont take his food?

troutman54

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Michigan
also note that the oscars are new, they have been in the tank for a little over two weeks, before I got the oscars I would just put one or two feeders in the tank at a time and my gar would take his time because most of the time he waits and typically doesnt go after the feeders

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
also note that the oscars are new, they have been in the tank for a little over two weeks, before I got the oscars I would just put one or two feeders in the tank at a time and my gar would take his time because most of the time he waits and typically doesnt go after the feeders

I suggest stop feeding the Gar feeders and it should start eating what the Oscars are offered. Do you quarantine the feeders?

troutman54

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Michigan
yes I keep them for a week sometimes a little longer I feed the feeders high quality small pellets so the have a little more nutritional value, I also breed guppies to feed my gar tlindsey tlindsey

Exp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2018
Wait and see it will
Accept pellets and other food except feeder i have experience in short nose gar and alligator gar both times the gar didnt accept meat or pellets but i waited for it to get hungry and accept it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store