How to feed your fish while your away

bartier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Australia
My family and I went on a holiday one year for 10 days. I went to my neighbours and asked if they could feed my fish while I was away. They agreed and said that there daughter (6 years old) would feed them for me.

At the time I had two oscars and a Siamese algae eater. So I went away on my holiday had a great time got home to find a tank so cloudy that I could not see anything. The tank was a deep red and resembled runny tomato soup.

I then picked up my hikara gold fish pellets and discovered that it was very nearly empty. Turns out that my neighbour accidentally dropped all the food into the tank.:cry: So I quickly took out my fish finding my two oscars still in good health however my CAE was not so lucky.

The moral of the story is to always have someone that you can trust take care of your fish when you go away. Not some silly little girl. Unless she knows heaps about fish. :)

wataugachicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2007
Charlotte, NC
next time, measure out only the food you want used and hide the containers. during a 10 day vacation, the fish will be fine with only one or two feedings.

sorry about the CAE loss.

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
ive gone up to a week without feeding my fish and they were fine when i got home.
My fish are listed below

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
All the ideas about responsible people and pre-measured portions are good but remember this, there are very few fish (except of seahorses, pipefish, mandarin gobies, and other such constant microforagers) that will starve in anything less than two weeks time. If you have such fish or are going to be gone longer than that you should consider a bonded service (available in many larger cities).

bartier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Australia
At the time my oscars were only small and I didn't think they would be able to last without the food.

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
Lol Those oscars must have loved swimming in food! its like swimming in money! dont even have to move to get something to eat.. lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store