HOW TO: Installing 3D Backgrounds / Tips & Techniques

KTrain

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2011
Columbus, Ohio
I ran PVC up the back of the outside of the tank and then put 1/2'' hose barbs on it so I could connect the exhaust or intake end of my filter via hose. I did this to make it easier to move, work with, and change later.

The space between the background and the fish tank doesn't actually exist. It's filled with expanding pond foam which has cured making that whole area a solid block of foam. If you haven't worked with pond foam before then let me be the first to tell you it is extremely durable and strong. Considering the the implementation I used, water pressure isn't going to do anything to the background or the foam. Both are secured tightly.

I don't have any great pictures to show, but the concept is relatively self explanatory. Instead of having all the algae problems and issues with fish getting stuck or whatever behind the background I just filled it with foam so nothing could get behind it. Any algae or bacteria that develops in small air pockets won't be able to interface with the water in the tank enough to toss the levels off.

In hindsight I probably could of laid the pvc first and then just foamed around it (thus hiding it), but that would put a lot of pressure on the PVC and could have other effects (such as generating an air pocket for water to get into). It might have looked cool but more elements means more points of failure. I didn't want to go down that road with this portion of the project.

Hopefully that does a better job of explaining it.

KTrain

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2011
Columbus, Ohio
CaspianRain;5041185; said:
I haven't personally but from the looks of it they could be problematic. Sealing them with silicone is a lot harder then it sounds. If you can't get it sealed then algea and other culture can use it as a breeding ground and give your tank problems. In addition, the water pressure might just rip it off the back wall of the aquarium. All things to considering when trying to apply one of these.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
KTrain;5059046; said:
I haven't personally but from the looks of it they could be problematic. Sealing them with silicone is a lot harder then it sounds. If you can't get it sealed then algea and other culture can use it as a breeding ground and give your tank problems. In addition, the water pressure might just rip it off the back wall of the aquarium. All things to considering when trying to apply one of these.
Why the need to seal them in silicone? Anything porous will only add a potential surface area for benificial bacteria. I know a few people who incorporate their filtration into their backgrounds.

lazza

Feeder Fish
Oct 7, 2011
australia
these backgrounds look great this is wat i am after where did you buy these from the pics and info was and is fantastic this is def the best eplanitry blog yet thank you very helpful for a newbie like me ..just need to know where you get the backgrounds from

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
these backgrounds look great this is wat i am after where did you buy these from the pics and info was and is fantastic this is def the best eplanitry blog yet thank you very helpful for a newbie like me ..just need to know where you get the backgrounds from
Thanks for the kind words and WELCOME TO MFK!!! :D Like the Sally mentioned above they came from a company called www.designsbynature.net

Drags22s

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2007
S.W. Ranches, FL
Any one know if any plants will take root on the foam backgrounds? Im Getting an oceanic 300 gallon and was planning on gluing real rock to the back of the tank. So java fern and other easy plants to grow into a lush jungle but if the plants root on the foam bgs then I'll use the quicker easier route.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store