How to make money in the aquarium hobby?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Craigslist or eBay is good.
Piggybacking off of Kolton13 Kolton13 and Rtc/tsn Rtc/tsn i found a ornate bichir for 10 dollars at petco. Would have been 80 anywhere else. Should have bought and sold.

• Wow
Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Craigslist or eBay is good.
Piggybacking off of Kolton13 Kolton13 and Rtc/tsn Rtc/tsn i found a ornate bichir for 10 dollars at petco. Would have been 80 anywhere else. Should have bought and sold.
10$ for an ornate, at this rate you might as well you walk in, net it yourself, bag it up and walk out that’s an actual steal. What was it labeled as? They might of had bichirs before and not of known the difference when someone dropped that one off.

Reactions: Deadeye

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
At a petco near me they had a Thai silk fh for 30$ I wanted it so bad but didn’t have the space at the time.

Reactions: Deadeye

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
no making / only spending

suppose you could breed plecos ($1500 investment) the fancy zebra units-

to make money you probably need id imagine

$100k to get a facility and ponds / vats and start breeding -

GL!

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
The only way to make true money, not a couple dollars, is to commit to breeding, making the hobby into a job may not be as fun. But you can make some money propagating and selling aquarium plants that are higher in demand to a local fish club or eBay.

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Mostly breeding/propagating and selling. I'm hoping to earn enough to stave off the costs of salt and fish food. It does depend on what you have. If you have the skillset, some DIY skills could net you some money here and there.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I was wondering of there was any way to make a little bit of money in the aquarium hobby because my tanks are getting a bit expensive for me to maintain.
At 16 years of age i'm guessing that your champion breeding and aquaculture skills aren't at a level that's going to net you very much spare cash. It's a good life lesson to learn the value of money at a young age, to realise you don't get nothing in this life if you don't put the effort in to earn it. Surely you can get a part time job or do chores for family, friends or neighbours to earn enough spare cash to buy hobby related stuff?

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
At 16 years of age i'm guessing that your champion breeding and aquaculture skills aren't at a level that's going to net you very much spare cash. It's a good life lesson to learn the value of money at a young age, to realise you don't get nothing in this life if you don't put the effort in to earn it. Surely you can get a part time job or do chores for family, friends or neighbours to earn enough spare cash to buy hobby related stuff?
Someone asked me what my goal in the hobby is and that’s maybe the best question I’ve ever heard I’m also 16 and I’ve dropped out of public school and 2 online schools, in my opinion school just isn’t for me I’m more of a live to learn not sit to learn kinda person. After a year of officially being out of all school I can say learning about responsibility and what to actually expect in the future is much better by living to learn instead of sitting in a class now I’m not saying you should go and flunk all your classes I still think that school is an important part of peoples lives but k personally feel that “grades over friends”
Or anything like that is incorrect you need to learn about the world and the best way to do that is by experiencing it. Thank you I know this doesn’t have much to do with the topic but I saw this comment and it made me thing of it and just wanted to spread this and let it be known that if you’re younger and think you don’t have to worry about responsibilities then you should definitely need to worry about it, it’ll leave you off better in life.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I’m also 16 and I’ve dropped out of public school and 2 online school
it’ll leave you off better in life.
So what you're saying is, drop out of school with zero or very poor academic skills, resulting with little chance of getting a good job at the end, and your life will be rosy because you've learnt about some other more important life stuff?

You need to take a screen shot of this page, frame it, and put it up on your wall. Then when you get a lot older you will look at it and realise how naive you were thinking like that. I can guarantee that it is certainly not advice you will thrust upon your own children.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
So what you're saying is, drop out of school with zero or very poor academic skills, resulting with little chance of getting a good job at the end, and your life will be rosy because you've learnt about some other more important life stuff?

You need to take a screen shot of this page, frame it, and put it up on your wall. Then when you get a lot older you will look at it and realise how naive you were thinking like that. I can guarantee that it is certainly not advice you will thrust upon your own children.
1. Out of all I said that’s what you got out of it?
2. Those two parts of what I said are different
3. School is important I’m saying from my experience I believe that it’s better to learn from experience at younger age

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store