How to prepare homemade fish feed?

titanium

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2014
India
www.petschennai.com
Hi besties,

I would like to prepare homemade fish feed for my flowerhorn and cichlid varieties. I don't know how to prepare and what are the exact ingredients for making nutrition rich fish feed. I am mainly preparing for ingredients locally available like wheat, soya, corn, market prawn etc. So experts, please advise me how to prepare nutritious, rich fish feet at home. Actually, I decided for this mainly, I have four batches of cichlid fries in my home. I tired, spent money for buying pellet food. So please help me to overcome this situation.

My preferred ingredients like,
Wheat,
Egg,
Corn,
Soya,
CZ Power pink,
CZ Clear,
Market Shrimp,
And your preferred things...

Thanks in advance,

Titanium

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
RD. RD.

Reactions: J. H.

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
RD. RD.
Lol, he'll say the first four ingredients are junk and shouldn't be in fish food, probably 6 but I have no idea what the cz stuff is. The only proper ingredient for fish is the shrimp and that's not great for a staple. Way better off trying to find a quality pellet in bulk for saving $.

Reactions: titanium

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There has been a thread or two in the past on this topic.This seems like more hassle than it is worth as long as good quality pre packaged fish food is readily available.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
The goldfish people seem to have the most knowledge of diy fishfood. They like to make it like jello, with gelatin, and call it gel food (you can google that) If used properly, it can increase growth, health, fecundity, and in short, 'upgrade' the fish. Properly fed goldfish will even grow bigger wens (similar to what you would call kok.) The right food depends on the age and type of fish. Some of the best ingredients are,
Nori
Kelp
Algae/Algae wafers( If you have an algae filter it is a great source for this)
Whole small fish
Whole shrimp
Freeze dried tubifex, bloodworm, daphnia, etc.
Fish guts (when you clean the fish you catch)
Raw fish (not as good as whole fish)
Cooked vegetables (raw vegetables may contain poisons that are harmless to a terrestial being like you, but harmful to your fish that did not evolve to eat terrestrial plants. (some exceptions apply, I learned this from RD. RD. , he is the best person to answer this thread)
Beefheart, chicken, etc. are probably a bad idea, as they make fish obese and can cause other problems as well (just like terrestrial plants, they are not what your fish was made to eat)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
There has been a thread or two in the past on this topic.This seems like more hassle than it is worth as long as good quality pre packaged fish food is readily available.
+1

With the quality of nutrient dense prepared food currently available, making your own mix seems rather pointless. Perhaps in India there is a greater incentive to save costs. Good luck.

Reactions: titanium

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
With the quality of nutrient dense prepared food currently available, making your own mix seems rather pointless. Perhaps in India there is a greater incentive to save costs. Good luck.
The goldfish people swear it is better than dry food in every way. It seems that gel food is commercially available as well.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Homemade gel food has been around for decades. As far as nutrient levels, nothing new there to get excited about, it mostly consists of water, which is a non nutrient. So you either feed a lot, or overall the payload will be less than a nutrient dense pellet. I have also kept fancy goldfish, but I am not goldfish people. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store