How to prepare homemade fish feed?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I do agree that pellets are the best way to go, if your fish will eat them.

Having said that, I have three fire eels that will not, under any circumstance, eat pellets. So, I mainly feed them a mix of live night crawlers, live red wigglers, frozen krill, frozen bloodworms, and my frozen mix food. The main two staples are my frozen mix food and frozen krill. The other items are things I use to top off their meals each feeding.

My most recent batch of homemade food consists of tilapia and shrimp. I simply bought frozen, raw tilapia and shrimp from the grocery store. I then thawed them all out and cut them up into pieces small enough for my fish to eat. Then, I mixed them all up and put them into one quart ziplock bags. I spread them out thin enough that I could break pieces off when it's feeding time. You could easily do this with many different foods. I am going to try to add scallops, and possibly squid, to the mix next time.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I would strongly suggest presoaking any fresh/frozen fillets in a liquid vitamin such as Boyd's Vitachem, for a few hours prior to feeding. Simply feeding tissue and some minimal fat to a carnivore will not mimic what they would consume in nature. Over time they will become nutrient deprived.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I would strongly suggest presoaking any fresh/frozen fillets in a liquid vitamin such as Boyd's Vitachem, for a few hours prior to feeding. Simply feeding tissue and some minimal fat to a carnivore will not mimic what they would consume in nature. Over time they will become nutrient deprived.
I used to use a liquid supplement called Selcon as a fillet enhancer.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yes, I have used that as well. As I recall it was developed for marine fish, but I don't remember what the exact specs were. I found it on sale, cheap, so I used it for fresh. Very high in vitamin C I think?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Thank you for the info. I will look into that for some more nutrition.

I don't just feed frozen tilapia though. I also feed frozen shrimp, frozen krill, live red wigglers, and live night crawlers as main food sources. More vitamins/nutrition definitely will be better though.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yes, I have used that as well. As I recall it was developed for marine fish, but I don't remember what the exact specs were. I found it on sale, cheap, so I used it for fresh. Very high in vitamin C I think?
Yep,marine.I used it on the silversides and squid cuts that I fed to my bamboo and horn sharks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store