How to size a pump to your tank

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
specialized002;2717460; said:
I'm new to this hobby and I'm pretty handy with building things. I was looking into filtration and rather than spending all that cash to buy a fx5 I want to build my own sump system. I have a 150 gal tank, the guy I bought it from gave me a ehiem 2215. My question is this, I'm reading the post and still don't really understand it completely. If I were to build a sump, from what I get, I'm going to need at least a 1" drain and I'm unsure of a pump size and return pipe size. If you could give me a ball park range it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Well FX5's on E-bay for 200.00 to start...
and a sump Wet/dry ona 150 will need a 1.5" Drain/overflow....
search the DIY section for overflow;pump size;return plumbing size...you'll find it all there...

terrors r us

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
Edmonton,Canada
my input to the tank is 5 ft high...
but I have two of them, one on each end of the tank.....
they are connected via a tee fitting under the tank...
so is my total 5 ft of head or 10 ft of head??????
even though there are two inputs, the total height is only
five ft so I'm thinking total head would be 5 ft.....is this right???

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
terrors r us;3004817; said:
my input to the tank is 5 ft high...
but I have two of them, one on each end of the tank.....
they are connected via a tee fitting under the tank...
so is my total 5 ft of head or 10 ft of head??????
even though there are two inputs, the total height is only
five ft so I'm thinking total head would be 5 ft.....is this right???
yes
there might be a slight bit of friction loss due to actual length of the piping, but the head pressure would be the average height of all the outlets...

contractor078

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
delaware
hello I just read through this thread and I am a little confused i am looking into buying a 675 gallon tank and want to stock it with SA fish. So I am thinking that I would want to have a higher turnover rate. The top of the tank is going to 7' from the ground so I am not sure how to size my pump...HELP!

fishyjoe26

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2008
plano texas
SO what would a need for a 140 and a 55. I've got a fx5 on the 140 and it's a discus tank. is this for air pumps, or filter pumps?

mr_kook

Jack Dempsey
Aug 31, 2009
A, A
ok I am going to be setting up a tank soon in my basement. I wanted to know if I could use a hot tube filter system for a Aquarium. I was using if for a exotic fish pond. I just didn't know how if would be for a tank I am new to the whole aquarium seen so tips would be greatly helpful o yea I am thinking it will be for a 5" long 2" deep and 2" wide tank.

thanks

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
mr_kook;3419637; said:
ok I am going to be setting up a tank soon in my basement. I wanted to know if I could use a hot tube filter system for a Aquarium. I was using if for a exotic fish pond. I just didn't know how if would be for a tank I am new to the whole aquarium seen so tips would be greatly helpful o yea I am thinking it will be for a 5" long 2" deep and 2" wide tank.

thanks
Stick with aquarium equipment.

Hot tub pumps are swimming pool pumps (of a different flavor). Where a hot tub is in the range of 400-800 gallons, you are talking about a tank that is only 150 gallons. In addition to that, the pumps are over sized to create excessive (therapeutic) current in the spa.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store