How to start a fish store?

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
I know nothing about a business, but I would think you would need the essential.
1. A variety of tanks, 10 all the way up to 300. 55's would be what most would buy I would think.
2. Filters, some cheap-o's then FX5's etc.
3. Fish.

Once people buy the tank, filter, heaters, fish then their pretty much done spending the majority of money at a LFS.

When I go to a LFS I might get a fish, and maybe Prime that's about it unless I'm starting a new tank. The new fish starters is where your major bucks will come, and fish.

TTTT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Cincinnati - The 513
I have no advice to you, but I think starting a fish store right now with the bad economy and Petsmart/Petco is a bad idea. But if it's your dream (It's one of mine too) I say do it!

Good luck!

dpk2313

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
ohio
Ive worked in a few fish stores and unfortunately the policy almost always was you dont ask I wont tell, so you are always supposed to think if they didnt ask they must know but more often then not thats not the case

but there will always be the people who have to learn the hard way also
I remember selling one lady a complete 55 setup 2 rose queens 2 jack dempseys 2 jags 2 oscars and a green terror her plan was to keep them all in a 30gal until she set up the 55 at that point she figured that they would eventually thin out the herd naturally as they grew leaving her with a good stock list
tried to tell he it would work well wouldnt you know she came back a month later with 3 fish left demanding store credit

xdragonxb0i

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Arkansas
i would be like jeff rapps. have a breeding/ housing site at your home. and sell fishes online

I dont really think there is much money to make in selling fish. considering the amount of time, energy and food it cost to keep them.

kjfan1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Central Iowa
www.djiowa.com
Kcoastsurfguy;3354122; said:
I'd say take a course on small business at a local community college, I took one before just for the credits and wound up learning a whole lot about starting a small business. Most of these types of classes will have you start a "mock" business and run it through the enitre semester. You can start a LFS and you will come out of the class with a lot of knowledge on laws and a good start to a business plan
Great advice!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store