How to treat ammonia poisoning

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
...I know you can wipe out beneficial bacteria by doing too many water changes...
You will never "wipe out" bacteria by changing water, because the bacteria don't live suspended in the water. They are on the surface of filter media, substrate, etc. and are unaffected by water changes.

I suppose it is theoretically possible to suppress the population of nitrifying bacteria by changing so much water...we're probably talking multiple 100% changes per day...that you minimize the amount of ammonia that is present for them to utilize. This is academic; trust me, with the stocking density you have, a shortage of ammonia is never going to happen.

Don't worry about changing too much water; rather, be aware that in this case it is virtually impossible to change enough.

... I was going to use part of the filter media from the current set up...
Again, don't do half measures here. Use every bit of the mature media from this tank when you move the fish to the new one, not just "some". The total bacterial population of all your current media might be enough to nitrify the amount of ammonia your stock produces, but it isn't any more than just barely enough. You just can't afford to lose any of it, so you shouldn't discard any of that media.

Mofo fish

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Charlotte NC
You will never "wipe out" bacteria by changing water, because the bacteria don't live suspended in the water. They are on the surface of filter media, substrate, etc. and are unaffected by water changes.

I suppose it is theoretically possible to suppress the population of nitrifying bacteria by changing so much water...we're probably talking multiple 100% changes per day...that you minimize the amount of ammonia that is present for them to utilize. This is academic; trust me, with the stocking density you have, a shortage of ammonia is never going to happen.

Don't worry about changing too much water; rather, be aware that in this case it is virtually impossible to change enough.

Again, don't do half measures here. Use every bit of the mature media from this tank when you move the fish to the new one, not just "some". The total bacterial population of all your current media might be enough to nitrify the amount of ammonia your stock produces, but it isn't any more than just barely enough. You just can't afford to lose any of it, so you shouldn't discard any of that media.
Thank you for the feedback! So I am going to still use this tank for other fish so I’m not going to move the total amount over. The tank is being installed by a professional who is bring over live sand for fresh water and some other various things to ensure the highest level of health and safety of the fish. A great deal of time, money and resources is going into this I assure you there will be no short cuts. Just didn’t want to type every move we are making while trying to get some help/info. I will be sure to post pictures/updates for everyone. Than you to everyone for the information

Reactions: jjohnwm

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Thank you for the feedback! So I am going to still use this tank for other fish so I’m not going to move the total amount over. The tank is being installed by a professional who is bring over live sand for fresh water and some other various things to ensure the highest level of health and safety of the fish. A great deal of time, money and resources is going into this I assure you there will be no short cuts. Just didn’t want to type every move we are making while trying to get some help/info. I will be sure to post pictures/updates for everyone. Than you to everyone for the information
Live sand for freshwater? What is that? I've only heard of this term for saltwater tanks.

Reactions: Mofo fish

Mofo fish

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Charlotte NC
Live sand for freshwater? What is that? I've only heard of this term for saltwater tanks.
I thought the exact same thing, but he said that it’s a very real and useful thing.
I thought the exact same thing, but after a conversation with the owner he definitely knows his stuff. His name is Brandon with desto aquatics. Good guy very knowledgeable.

Mofo fish

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Charlotte NC
it’s more expensive sand that makes people feel good
Hm, a very close minded response. I had a similar initial reaction, however after a conversation with the owner brandon at Desto aquatics , i believe he truly has the health and well being of my fish in mind. Not blowing smoke up my ass. I’ve been in the hobby for over 10 years I’m not going to buy anything without the proper due diligence

Randles

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2021
UK
Hm, a very close minded response. I had a similar initial reaction, however after a conversation with the owner brandon at Desto aquatics , i believe he truly has the health and well being of my fish in mind. Not blowing smoke up my ass. I’ve been in the hobby for over 10 years I’m not going to buy anything without the proper due diligence
Id like to know more about this as Ive only ever used live sand in past marine set ups. Ive been keep fish all my life 35+ years and have never seen live sand for fresh water. If this is indeed a real thing I would love to hear more about it.

Reactions: C. Breeze

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego

Are you 100% certain it's not just sand from his established tanks? If not, ask him for a brand name so you can look it up yourself from the actually company who sells it.

Why is this live sand better than bacteria in a bottle like Seachem Stability?

Reactions: C. Breeze

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
I have live sand available and I ship within the US. Live arrival guaranteed, same as with fish. Only interested in inquiries from the open minded. Microscopic survey of the substrate you will receive available for small surcharge.
83C73F9F-19CD-43A6-8F8E-9CFC208ADD69.jpeg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store