How to Wire Up Outdoor Pond

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
I want to add an additional pump and aeration system to my pond this spring, and was just wondering the best method of doing this. I was thinking of running an extension chord out of a window, and though PVC pipe that has been buried underground,(to protect it from excessive moisture, lawnmowers, etc). out to the pond. Is this safe, and, and/or recommended?

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
I am in the uk so might be different. Mine is run using armoured cable off an rcd. Its run in 2" conduit so it can be changed if needed. Normal extension leads are meant for indoor use and the cable covering gets brittle if weathered and soon become dangerous. Long runs also cause problems ... easy answer is if in doubt ask a sparkey.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I want to add an additional pump and aeration system to my pond this spring, and was just wondering the best method of doing this. I was thinking of running an extension chord out of a window, and though PVC pipe that has been buried underground,(to protect it from excessive moisture, lawnmowers, etc). out to the pond. Is this safe, and, and/or recommended?
I would do the PVC ideal myself.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Best would be to get an external outlet installed to plug it into, then run something like 2" PVC as mentioned. That way you don't have to leave a window open all the time. You want it big enough you can easily run a plug through it when there's a few other cables already going through.

There are outdoor extension cords, presumably they'll be UV stabilized so won't get brittle.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I have my outdoor extension cable running out of my garage door. I can close it and the cord isn’t bothered at all. Then it runs along the side of the garage(no sun exposure and covered by a shallow layer of dirt) then it’s run under some rocks to an outdoor multi plug thingy that is staked in the ground. It’s been like that for 3 or so years now. No signs of wear and works great.

I think in your case the pvc pipe would be a good protective measure. Mostly just to keep critters from chewing on it.

FishPondSealant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2016
Since water and electricity do not mix well, this entails the installation of a ground fault circuit interrupter, GFCI outlet. This type of circuit is extremely sensitive, and when it comes in contact with moisture or if cut it will automatically shut off. Outdoor wiring also requires conduit to enclose exposed cables or the use of direct burial cable. .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store